Pawlett
Nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Page

277

Citation Show another format:

'Pawlett: Nonconformity', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 277. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18681 Date accessed: 22 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

NONCONFORMITY.

There was a Quaker in the parish in 1680 (fn. 27) and the house of a man prosecuted for non-payment of tithes in 1710 was licensed for worship in 1706 and 1709. Quaker meeting houses were licensed in 1731 and 1741. (fn. 28) There was a Baptist in the parish in 1791. (fn. 29)

Methodists registered a house for worship in 1803 and a chapel in 1810. John Carter's house at Stretcholt was licensed from 1819; (fn. 30) by 1845 a meeting house adjoined the dwelling. (fn. 31) In 1838 it was part of the Taunton Wesleyan circuit (fn. 32) and in 1841 a minister lodged in Carter's house. (fn. 33) Pawlett became part of the Bridgwater circuit in 1848. (fn. 34) The Carter memorial chapel was built on a new site north-west of Pawlett village in 1855. (fn. 35) A hall was added for a Sunday school in 1938. Average attendance at the chapel in 1960 was 35 in the morning and 15 in the evening. (fn. 36) It remained open in 1986.

Footnotes

27 S.R.S. lxxv. 137.
28 S.R.O., Q/RR meeting ho. lics.; S.D.N.Q. v. 294.
29 H. A. Hamblin & A. J. Whitby, Baptists in Bridgwater, 49.
30 S.R.O., D/D/Rm, box 2.
31 Ibid. DD/MLY 14, will of J. Carter.
32 Ibid. D/N/bmc 7/2.
33 P.R.O., HO 107/953.
34 S.R.O., D/N/bmc 7/2.
35 Inscr. on chapel.
36 S.R.O., D/N/bmc 3/2/2, 4/3/50; DD/X/HAG 1.


<--Previous:
Pawlett:
Church