North Petherton
Borough

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Pages

282-283

Citation Show another format:

'North Petherton: Borough', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 282-283. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18685 Date accessed: 02 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

BOROUGH.

A burgage in North Petherton belonged to the serjeanty of Pignes in 1251-2. (fn. 78) North Petherton borough, which was separately represented neither at the eyres of 1225 and 1242-3 (fn. 79) nor at the law hundreds of the 1430s, (fn. 80) yielded profits to the lord of North Petherton hundred and manor, nearly £5 in 1297-8, nearly £6 in 1311-12, and £5 9s. 4d. in 1391-2. The profits came mostly from rents, but also from a borough court or portmote. (fn. 81) The lordship of the borough, linked with the tithing of Denizen in 1569 (fn. 82) and yielding rents of £3 1s. in 1647, (fn. 83) descended with the hundred and manor until 1832 or later. (fn. 84)

Footnotes

78 Bk. of Fees, ii. 1266.
79 S.R.S. xi, pp. 40-1, 298-301.
80 S.R.O., DD/SAS NP 15.
81 Ibid. 1, mm. 2, 17; 5, m. 4; below, local govt.
82 S.R.S. xx. 130-1.
83 S.R.O., DD/X/FRC (C/140).
84 P.R.O., CP 43/997, rot. 24; S.R.O., DD/SL 9; DD/SLM (C/1795).