The honor of
Richmond's free tenants attended the honorial
tourn for east Cambridgeshire in 1334. (fn. 82)
Bansteads manor, adjudged to be held from
Cheveley manor in 1582, (fn. 83) is not known to have
Courts for Cheveley manor were being held
by 1260 (fn. 84) and Sibyl Loveday claimed view of
frankpledge in 1299. (fn. 85) Her successors also had
the assize of bread and of ale. Court rolls survive
for 1422 and 1442-59. (fn. 86) When Sir John Cotton
and his mother leased the manor in 1663 they
reserved the right to hold the court in the manor
house. (fn. 87) There are court books for 1736-1849. (fn. 88)
A row of four cottages, evidently intended as
almshouses, was built by Henry Jermyn, Lord
Dover, on Oak Lane in 1692, but he failed
to endow them and after his death they were
taken over by the vestry and used as a parish
poorhouse until 1835, when the Poor Law
Amendment Act meant that they were no longer
needed for that purpose. The rector, J. T.
Bennet, was frustrated in an attempt to incorporate them into Reeve's and Raye's charity, (fn. 89)
and instead the vestry let them to labourers,
whose refusal to pay rent in the 1860s led to
their summary sale. (fn. 90) They remained standing
in 2000. Between 1706 and 1738 the parish
acquired another house, divided into two cottages, which also housed the poor. (fn. 91) Pulled down
but replaced on a new site at the expense of J. T.
Hand (rector 1778-1831), they, too, were sold
in the 1860s. (fn. 92)
After 1835 Cheveley was successively incorporated in Newmarket poor-law union (to 1894),
Newmarket rural district (1894-1974), and East
Cambridgeshire district (from 1974). (fn. 93)
||P.R.O., JUST 1/82, rot. 28.
||B.L. Add. Ch. 19259.
||N.R.A., Manorial Reg.; the roll cannot now be traced.
||P.R.O., JUST 1/95, rot. 60d.
||W. Suff. R.O., E 3/11/1.37.
||C.U.L., Doc. 1421.
||C.R.O., R 54/10/5-6.
31st Rep. Com. Char. 97; W. Suff. R.O. 806/1/36.
Camb. Chron. 9 Apr. 1864, p. 8; 20 Aug. 1864, p. 4.
||W. Suff. R.O. 806/1/36 (1706, 1735, and later
31st Rep. Com. Char. 97; C.R.O., P 42/8/1, 31 Mar.
1864; Camb. Chron. 9 Apr. 1864, p. 8; 20 Aug. 1864, p. 4.
||Youngs, Guide, 49.