Kirtling
Local government

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

A F Wareham, A P M Wright

Year published

2002

Supporting documents

Pages

73-74

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Kirtling: Local government', A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10: Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (north-eastern Cambridgeshire) (2002), pp. 73-74. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18791 Date accessed: 23 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

In 1299 Robert de Tony claimed that he and his predecessors had held view of frankpledge and the assize of bread and of ale for Kirtling manor since time out of mind. (fn. 78) Court rolls survive for 1378-9, for 20 years between 1447 and 1489, and continuously for 1499-1546 (fn. 79) and 1679-97. (fn. 80) The medieval courts transferred customary holdings, enforced agricultural bylaws and the assizes, and occasionally elected a constable or licensed a neif to leave the manor. From the 16th century the business was mainly tenurial, though agriculture was still regulated and constables and 'partators' (presumably supervisors of the open fields) were appointed in the 1680s.

Kirtling was part of Newmarket poor-law union 1835-94, Newmarket rural district 1894- 1974, and East Cambridgeshire district from 1974. (fn. 81)

Footnotes

78 Plac. de Quo Warr. (Rec. Com.), 101, wrongly giving Tony's forename as Ralph; cf. P.R.O., JUST 1/95, rot. 60d.
79 K.S.R.L., uncat. North MSS., M:Ki:1-8; MDT: Ki:1-2.
80 C.R.O., R 51/25/1, bk. 3; R 72/45 (uncat.), Kirtling ct. bk. 1685-97.
81 Youngs, Guide, 51.