Bisley
Roman catholicism

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, A R J Jurica, W J Sheils

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

36

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Bisley: Roman catholicism', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11: Bisley and Longtree Hundreds (1976), pp. 36. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=19021 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

ROMAN CATHOLICISM.

In 1931 a Roman Catholic chapel was opened in Bisley village; the village then had only 10 Catholic residents but the chapel was also designed to serve France Lynch, Chalford, Eastcombe, and Sapperton. Catholic activity was later centred on Brown's Hill where a chapel was built in the grounds of the house called Templewood in 1937, and the house itself was a Catholic nursing home from that period. (fn. 38) In 1972 the chapel at Brown's Hill was served by a community called the Servants of the Paraclete who occupied two large houses in the village, Our Lady of Victory (formerly Firwood) and St. Michael's (formerly the Bussage House of Mercy), both of which had private chapels built by previous occupants; another house in the village was then a Catholic convent. (fn. 39)

Footnotes

38 Langston, 'Cath. Missions', iv.
39 Clifton Dioc. Yr. Bk. (1972), 37.