Joan Ridler by will dated 1714 left
£100 for teaching poor children at Edgeworth and
her sister Mary by will of 1715 charged land at
Haresfield with the sum of £5 to answer for it. The
rent-charge was apparently being received in 1826, (fn. 97)
and in 1833 was being devoted to the salary of the
schoolmistress, (fn. 98) although in 1818 the school was
said to be without any endowments. The dayschool had an attendance of 20 children in 1818 (fn. 99)
and 23 in 1847 when it was supported by subscriptions. (fn. 1) The alterations made to the rectory in 1861
included the addition of a schoolroom, (fn. 2) but in 1872
Henry Sperling built a school for 60 children and a
house for a schoolmistress on the road from the
church to the village. The number of children
attending declined from 40 in 1885 (fn. 3) to 24 in 1911,
and 10 in 1922 (fn. 4) when the county council ceased to
maintain the school. (fn. 5) Nevertheless it seems to have
survived, probably supported by the James family,
until 1927 when the children formed a pipe
orchestra having made their own instruments. (fn. 6) The
school appears to have closed by 1931 at which time
the building housed a parish library. (fn. 7) In 1971 the
younger children attended school at Miserden and
the older children went to Stroud or Eastcombe.
The Ridler charity was used to finance educational
excursions for the children of the parish in 1971. (fn. 8)
The school buildings had been converted to a pair
of cottages, one of which was the post office.
||14th Rep. Com. Char. 57, 60, although ibid. 58 and
Glos. R.O., P 47/CH 1/2 imply that it was being applied,
with the remainder of the total rent-charge of which it was
part, to the Ridlers' charity at Bisley.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 314.
Educ. of Poor Digest, 299.
Church Schools Inquiry, 1846-7, 8-9.
||Glos. R.O., D 1381, plans of Edgeworth rectory.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1885), 452.
Bd. of Educ., List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 161; 1922,
||Glos. Colln. RQ 123.1; cf. Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1927),
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1931), 162.
||Ex inf. the rector.