Sapperton
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, A R J Jurica, W J Sheils

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

99

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Sapperton: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11: Bisley and Longtree Hundreds (1976), pp. 99. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=19057 Date accessed: 22 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

Nathaniel Butler, founder of the sermon charity mentioned above, also gave 3s. 4d. a year to be distributed to the poor. (fn. 81) By 1826 this charity had become known as Townsend's charity from the family which later owned Butler's estate. (fn. 82) John Calfway left £6 for the poor but it was lost in the late 17th century. (fn. 83) The bread charity of Louisa Atkyns, mentioned above, had an income of £18 from the Duntisbourne Abbots estate in 1750, (fn. 84) and £53 in the 1820s when 6s.worth of bread was distributed each week and the remainder applied in bread at Christmas. (fn. 85) It continued to be distributed in bread in 1971. (fn. 86)

Footnotes

81 G.D.R., V 5/260T 7.
82 14th Rep. Com. Char. 68.
83 G.D.R., V 5/260T 7.
84 G.D.R. vol. 381A, f. 29.
85 14th Rep. Com. Char. 68.
86 Ex inf. the rector.