This wedge-shaped tract of land represents the
northern portion of the former parish of Stanground,
which until 1905 was partly in the Isle and partly in
Huntingdonshire. In that year it was divided into
North Stanground (Isle) and South Stanground
(Hunts.). (fn. 1) North Stanground has no separate history, (fn. 2)
but although it contains less than 2 square miles and a
population of only 32 (fn. 3) it presents some interesting
administrative features. Historically, it forms part of
North Witchford hundred, but it is now included in
Thorney Rural District-one of the small local government areas constituted in 1894 to regularize the position when a Poor Law Union extended into more than
one county. (fn. 4) Ecclesiastically it still forms part of
Stanground and of the archdeaconry of Huntingdon,
and its connexions with the Soke of Peterborough have
been close, for the Peterborough Corporation established a Smallpox Hospital (fn. 5) and Sewage Farm within
its bounds. Its 1,117 acres are divided amongst no
fewer than six 'principal landowners'. There is no
made road through the parish, but it is crossed by the
Peterborough-Ely section of British Railways, Eastern
Region, (fn. 6) and by two important waterways-Moreton's
Leam and its successor the modern River Nene.
There are no churches, chapels, schools, or charities
in this parish.
||By L.G.B. Order No. 47,601.
||The manorial, &c., history of Stanground will be found in V.C.H. Hunts. iii,
||Seventeen males and 15 females
(including a staff of 2 at the Smallpox
Hospital) in 4 farm-houses and 3 cottages.
||Until 1933 this Rural District was
divided into two detached portions by an
intrusive area of Whittlesey (q.v.). It may
also be noted that North Stanground,
although a 'rural' area, is closer to Peterborough City-whence its letters are
delivered-than South Stanground which
forms part of Old Fletton Urban District.
||This institution had 38 beds in 1936
(Kelly, Dir. Northants). There were no
patients at the date of the 1931 Census.
||Opened 1846 (V.C.H. Cambs. ii,