List of plates

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Janet Cooper, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, Beryl Board, Philip Crummy, Claude Dove, Shirley Durgan, N R Goose, R B Pugh, Pamela Studd, C C Thornton

Year published

1994

Supporting documents

Pages

9-10

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of plates', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 9: The Borough of Colchester (1994), pp. IX-X. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=21960 Date accessed: 29 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

LIST OF PLATES

For permission to reproduce material in their possession thanks are offered to Colchester Archaeological Trust, to Colchester Borough Council (Operational Services and Community Services), to Colchester Museums (Colch. Mus.), to Essex County Library, Local Studies Collection held at Colchester Library (E.C.L. Colch.), to the Essex Society for Archaeology and History, to the Essex Record Office (E.R.O.), and to the National Buildings Record (N.B.R.) of the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.

Roman mosaic from Middleborough (detail). Painting by R. H. M. Moys in Colchester Archaeological Trust facing page 24
Roman church. Photograph by Totem High Rise Photography (Colchester Archaeological Trust) " 24
Balkerne gate and wall. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1993 " 24
The Rose and Crown inn, 1898. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 25
The George inn, 1929. Photograph by T. C. Gall in Colch. Mus. " 25
Headgate Court. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1993 " 25
The Red Lion inn. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1993 " 25
High Street from the east, 1858, with St. Runwald's and the 19th-century town hall in the background. Photograph by C. S. Brock in Colch. Mus. " 40
High Street, c. 1910. Photograph in E.C.L. Colch. " 40
Hythe Hill, 1887. Watercolour painting by J. E. Bale at Colch. Mus. " 41
Maidenburgh Street in the 1890s. Watercolour painting by J. E. Bale at Colch. Mus. " 41
St. James's church, 1824. Engraving, from a drawing by J. Greig, in Colch. Mus. " 120
St. Runwald's church from the south-west, 1813. Drawing in E.R.O., D/DR P21 " 120
St. Nicholas's church, 1874. Drawing by J. Parish in E.C.L. Colch. " 120
St. Mary Magdalen's church, c. 1780. Engraving from a drawing by J. Sparrow, in E.C.L. Colch. " 120
St. Botolph's church from the west, 1951. Photograph by E. Tattersall (N.B.R.) " 120
59 & 60 West Stockwell Street. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1993 " 121
St. Martin's House. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1993 " 121
The Minories, 1941. Photograph (N.B.R.) " 121
Greyfairs, 1941. Photograph (N.B.R.) " 121
North Hill, 1951. Photograph by E. Tattersall (N.B.R.) " 136
East Hill, c. 1905. Photograph (N.B.R.) " 136
Maldon Road, c. 1900. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 137
St. Mary's Terrace West. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1993 " 137
Providence Place. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1994 " 137
Bourne mill, 1923. Photograph by Q. C. Lloyd (N.B.R.) " 216
Greenstead mill, 1899. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 216
Silk mill, formerly Brown and Moy's, 1878. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 216
Jumbo water tower, c. 1950. Photograph by D. McCarthy (N.B.R.) " 216
Paxman's works, 1897, with the Hythe. Drawing in E.R.O., D/F 23/2/37 " 217
Paxman's products. Line-drawings from Paxman's Catalogue, no. 38, Apr. 1892. In private possession " 217
St. Mary's Terrace East. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1993 " 232
The Turrets, Lexden Road, 1987. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 232
New Town Lodge. Photograph from Colch. Borough Council, Operational Services " 232
The Avenue. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1993 " 232
Beverley Lodge, c. 1885. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 232
New Town semidetached houses. Photograph from Colch. Borough Council, Operational Services facing page 232
Kavanagh's Boot and Shoe factory, c. 1893. Photograph in E.C.L. Colch. " 233
East Hill brewery, 1865. Drawing in Illustrated Guide to the Great Eastern Railway, June 1865: copy in Colch. Mus. " 233
Textile factory, Crowther Bros., c. 1930. Photograph in E.R.O., Mint binder, Colchester III " 233
Head Street from the south, c. 1865. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 280
Culver Centre, c. 1990. Photograph from Colch. Borough Council, Community Services " 280
Aerial view of central Colchester from the south-west, c. 1960. Photograph in E.R.O., Mint binder, Colchester I " 281
Hythe bridge, c. 1825. Engraving in Colch. Mus. " 296
The Hythe, c. 1930. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 296
East bridge, c. 1775. Watercolour by Edward Eyre in Colch. Mus. " 297
Site of North gate, 1775. Watercolour by Edward Eyre in Colch. Mus. " 297
Berechurch Hall, demolished 1882. Photograph by D. McCarthy (N.B.R.) " 328
Old Cottages in Magdalen Street, 1897. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 328
Cistern Yard, 1932. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 328
Opening of the oyster fishery, 1913. Photograph in E.R.O., D/DJ 13 " 329
Sorting oysters, c. 1910. Photograph in Essex Society for Archaeology and History collection " 329
Livestock market at Middleborough, c. 1900. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 329
High Street from the east, 1858, with the corn exchange and pens for the livestock market. Photograph in Colch. Mus. " 329
Essex and Colchester hospital, c. 1880. Engraving in E.C.L. Colch. " 344
Kendall's almshouses in the early 20th century. Photograph in E.C.L. Colch. " 344
Eld Lane, 1951, showing the Darcy almshouses demolished in 1962. Photograph by E. Tattersall (N.B.R.) " 344
Lion Walk Congregational church, c. 1864. Engraving in E.C.L. Colch. " 345
Eld Lane Bapist church. Photograph by Alison Colchester, 1994. " 345
Lion Walk Congregational chapel, c. 1860. Photograph in E.C.L. Colch. " 345
Culver Street Methodist church, c. 1900. Photograph in E.R.O., Mint binder, Colchester I " 345