About 1723 there was said to be a
charity school at Harlington, which had not yet been
endowed. (fn. 75) It does not seem to have been in existence
later in the century, (fn. 76) but by the early 1800's part
of Lord Ossulston's charity was used to pay for
educating eight poor children. (fn. 77) Eight children were
put to school until 1821 and in 1819 there were three
other schools in the parish, with 70 pupils between
them. (fn. 78) There was also a Sunday school, which
received a small grant from the charity until it closed
down about 1822 for lack of funds. In 1821 the number of children sent to day schools by the charity
was doubled, and the total cost increased from £7 to
£12; the children were now divided between two
schools. (fn. 79) In 1833 some 80 children attended day
schools in the parish, including the 16 whose fees
were paid, and there were also Church and Baptist
Sunday schools, with 40 and 85 pupils respectively. (fn. 80)
In 1848 a National school was opened jointly for
Harlington and Cranford. (fn. 81) The building still (1959)
stands on the east side of Harlington High Street,
though it has since been enlarged and is now occupied by Frederick Lewis & Co. Ltd. This school
never received grants from Lord Ossulston's charity.
It was taught in 1858 by the parish clerk of Harlington and his daughter, neither of whom was trained.
In 1864 the parish clerk of Cranford, who was a
certificated teacher, became master, (fn. 82) and the school
began to receive annual grants from the government
as a result. The average attendance in 1865 was 52, (fn. 83)
but the number of children on the books was probably
much higher: the brickfields and gardens of the
neighbourhood provided seasonal labour for children
and made attendance at local schools irregular. (fn. 84) By
1870 average attendance had risen to nearly 120 and
there were also three small private elementary
schools. (fn. 85) A National school was opened in Cranford
in 1883, and the children from there, except at first
for the older boys, were withdrawn from Harlington. (fn. 86)
A church infant school was opened at Dawley in
1897. The building had been erected some years
before, (fn. 87) and stood until shortly before the Second
World War on the west side of Dawley Road at the
corner of Rigby Lane. (fn. 88) By the end of the century
the National school had about 160 pupils in attendance and the infant school about 25. (fn. 89) The infant
school was transferred to the county council in 1923 and
closed a year later. (fn. 90) The senior pupils were removed
from the National school, by then called Harlington
C. of E. School, in 1929, when the present secondary
modern school in New Road was opened. The rest
of the old school was closed in 1939 and replaced by
the William Byrd Council School in the Bath Road.
Another junior and infant school had been opened in
temporary buildings in Pinkwell Lane in 1931. In
1951 a permanent infant school farther along Pinkwell Lane was opened, and in 1956 most of the
juniors were transferred to another new building on
the same site. The old hutted buildings are now
(1959) used for evening institute, youth service, and
adult education activities. The New Road school was
considerably enlarged in 1957. In 1959 it had 768
pupils on the roll, and there were some 300 at the
William Byrd school, and 785 at the Pinkwell
schools. (fn. 91)
There have been more expensive private schools
in Harlington in addition to the dame schools for the
poor mentioned above. John Williams (rector 1748-
88) is said to have taken pupils, (fn. 92) there was a boarding school with 22 boys in 1833, (fn. 93) and Overberg
House (now the Lilacs) was used as an 'academy' in
1865. (fn. 94) The village seems to have contained at least
one private school throughout the 19th century and
for the earlier decades of the twentieth. (fn. 95) There were
no private schools in 1959. (fn. 96)
||Guildhall MS. 9550.
||Cf. ibid. 9556, 9558.
||9th Rep. Com. Char. H.C. 258, pp. 224-5 (1823), ix.
Digest of Rets. to Cttee. on Educ. of Poor, H.C. 224, p.
537 (1819), ix (1).
||9th Rep. Com. Char. 225.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, H.C. 62, p. 564 (1835), xlii.
||Date on building.
Rep. Educ. Cttee. of Co. 1865-6, , p. 555, H.C.
||See quotations from log-book in Hayes and Harlington
Official Guide (1938), 28.
Rets. relating to Elem. Educ. H.C. 201, p. 240 (1871),
lv; Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Co. 1870 [C 406] H.C. (1871),
||See p. 186.
||O.S. Maps 1/2,500 Mdx. xv. 9 (3rd. and later edn.);
date of its demolition from local inf.
Schs. in receipt of parl. grants, 1899, [Cd. 332], H.C.
||Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1927.
||Ibid. 1932; Ex inf. District Educ. Office.
||Wilson, 800 years of Harlington ch. (1926 edn.), 60-61.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 564.
||O.S. Map 1/2,500 Mdx. xx. 1 (1st edn.).
Kelly's Dir. Mdx. (1845 and later edns. to 1922).
||Ex inf. District Educ. Office.