Courts baron were held
for Ickenham manor from at least as early as 1415. (fn. 99)
Lords of the sub-manor of Swakeleys owed suit at the
Ickenham court. In 1434 Sir Thomas Charlton of
Swakeleys was fined for non-attendance and in 1472
the bailiff of the manor was ordered to distrain upon
Sir Richard Charlton for the same offence. (fn. 1) In 1595
Michael Shorediche took to court a tenant of Swakeleys who had refused to pay services owed to Ickenham manor. (fn. 2) Lords of Ickenham asserted their rights
over the younger manor until 1860. (fn. 3)
Ickenham courts baron concerned themselves
exclusively with manorial business and the regulation of the open fields. (fn. 4) After 1731 there is a hiatus
in the court records until 1819 when George Robinson, the new lord, held a court baron at Ickenham
manor-house. Courts continued to be held annually
throughout the early 19th century. (fn. 5) In addition to
the usual manorial business courts in the 19th
century asserted the right of the lord to three pews
in the parish church (fn. 6) and dealt with the encroachment of unauthorized persons on the manorial
waste. (fn. 7) After Ickenham manor had been bought by
Thomas Truesdale Clarke, (fn. 8) courts baron met in
the 'Coach and Horses' but no longer every year.
In 1865 the court recorded the grant of land on the
manorial waste near the church for erecting a pump
in the centre of the village. (fn. 9) The last court baron was
held at the 'Coach and Horses' in 1878. (fn. 10)
Leet business was apparently transacted in the
honorial court of Wallingford (later Ewelme)
meeting at Uxbridge (fn. 11) and in the franchise court of
Northolt manor. (fn. 12) In the 15th century Ickenham
sent jurors to the view of frankpledge at Uxbridge (fn. 13)
and attendance at the honor court was enforced until
1813. (fn. 14) From at least as early as 1461 lords of Ickenham owed suit to the leet at Northolt. (fn. 15) Here constables and headboroughs for Ickenham manor were
appointed. (fn. 16) In 1660 it was stated that Richard
Shorediche was bound, on inheriting Ickenham
manor, to pay a relief of £1 6s. 8d. to the lord of
Northolt and the same sum as an annual quit-rent. (fn. 17)
This rent was paid as late as 1860. (fn. 18) The Northolt
jurisdiction probably grew out of the 11th-century
Mandeville holding in Ickenham. (fn. 19) In the later
Middle Ages Northolt exercised a similar jurisdiction
in other former Mandeville lands in the county. (fn. 20)
Little is known of the parochial government which
succeeded manorial organization. A constable, two
overseers, and two churchwardens are mentioned in
1642, (fn. 21) but their function and the method by which
they were appointed are uncertain. The overseers
presumably collected the poor-rate which was being
levied by 1750, (fn. 22) and they may also have administered the poor-house which was probably built in
the 18th century. All that is known of this building
is that it stood in Back Lane in front of the churchyard and that it had been demolished by 1837 when
the site was sold. (fn. 23) In 1834, the first year for which
detailed evidence is available, poor relief was administered by the vestry. In 1833-4 eighteen ablebodied paupers were given work repairing and
procuring gravel for the parish roads. This was the
average number so assisted each year. The vestry
appointed two overseers, drawn, like the paupers
who applied to them, from the agricultural labourers
of the parish. (fn. 24) Ickenham became part of the
Uxbridge Union in 1836 (fn. 25) and the workhouse poor
were transferred to the union workhouse at Hillingdon.
Apart from the administration of poor relief little
is known of vestry business. In 1892 the vestry tried
to limit grazing rights on Ickenham Marsh and later
to have it declared a charity. (fn. 26) In 1894 Ickenham
became part of Uxbridge R.D. and was thereafter
administered by a parish council. The only record of
the council's work are the regulations for Ickenham
Marsh, which the council leased from the lord of the
manor in 1906. (fn. 27) In 1929 the parish was incorporated
into Uxbridge U.D. and ceased to exist as a unit of
local government. (fn. 28) Under the London Government
Act of 1963, Uxbridge was included in the London
Borough of Hillingdon. (fn. 29)
||M.R.O., Acc. 640/1-6, /9.
||M.R.O., Acc. 640/9.
||Ibid. p. 24.
||See p. 105.
||See p. 103.
||M.R.O., Acc. 640/9, p. 121.
||Ibid. p. 132.
||See p. 82.
||See pp. 117-18.
||M.R.O., E.M.C. 83/1.
||W.A.M., N. 1-22; see p. 118.
||Ibid.; see p. 118.
||W.A.M., N. 22.
||Extract of title (1860) penes Uxb. Bor. Council.
||See p. 102.
||For a full discussion of this jurisdiction see p. 118.
||Hse. of Lords, Mdx. Protestation Rets.
||M.R.O., Acc. 85/13/624.
Rep. Poor Law Com. App. B (2), H.C. 44, p. 104 f
||2nd Annual Rep. Poor Law Com. H.C. 595, p. 534
||See p. 109.
||Lease penes Uxb. Bor. Council.
||London Govt. Act, 1963, c. 33.