The first synagogue was established in the
area in 1918 and became a district member of the
United Synagogue in 1933. Premises in Sheepcote
Road were registered as the Harrow and Kenton
Synagogue in 1935. In 1946, as the Harrow Hebrew
Congregation, it acquired 3, Vaughan Road, Harrow. (fn. 50) During the 1930s numbers of Jews, mostly
belonging to the United Synagogue, moved into
Harrow, especially into the Kenton and Wembley
districts. When the Vaughan Road premises were
acquired, a group of Kenton Jews formed a second
congregation which established a synagogue in
Kenton Park Avenue in 1948, affiliated to the
United Synagogue in 1949 and registered for worship a year later. A building was erected in Shaftesbury Avenue, Kenton, in 1958 and extended in
1962. (fn. 51) Other United synagogues were established
in Forty Avenue, Wembley (1934) (fn. 52) and in Cecil
Park, Pinner (1941). (fn. 53)
A Liberal synagogue was established in 1947 at
326 Preston Road, Preston, where it was originally
called the Wembley Progressive Jewish Congregation. (fn. 54) In 1959 a Reform synagogue, under the title
of the Middlesex New Synagogue, was established
at 39 Bessborough Road, Harrow, a square, 19thcentury building with a porch of Ionic columns. (fn. 55)
From 1966 a Sephardi congregation held services
in the Congregational church hall, the Broadway,
Wembley. (fn. 56) It was estimated in 1965 that there were
approximately 21,000 Jewish people in the London
Borough of Harrow and the Wembley part of Brent.
Of these, about 16,000 were connected with the
synagogues in the area. (fn. 57)
||Gen. Reg. Off., Wship. Reg. 56071, 61260; Jewish
Chron. 7 Sept. 1934; Jewish Year Bk. (1964); ex inf. sec.,
Harrow District synagogue (1965).
||Gen. Reg. Off., Wship. Reg. 62715, 66813; Jewish
Year Bk. (1964); ex inf. the minister (1965).
||Gen. Reg. Off., Wship. Reg. 55923, 66796; Jewish
Year Bk. (1964).
Jewish Year Bk. (1964).
||Ibid.; Gen. Reg. Off., Wship. Reg. 65977.
||Gen. Reg. Off., Wship. Reg. 69041.
Jewish Year Bk. (1966-69).
||These figures include Kingsbury and Stanmore.