Hampstead
Childs Hill

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington (Editor), T F T Baker, Diane K Bolton, Patricia E C Croot

Year published

1989

Supporting documents

Pages

73-75

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hampstead: Childs Hill', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 73-75. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22643 Date accessed: 24 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Childs Hill.

A district on both sides of the Hendon-Hampstead border, (fn. 26) Childs Hill took its name from Richard le Child, who in 1312 held a customary house and 30 a., probably on the Hendon side. A similar estate was held at the same time by Richard Blakett, (fn. 27) who gave his name to Blacketts well, (fn. 28) which in 1632 was one of the boundary markers in the area (fn. 29) and in 1801-2 was disputed in ownership. (fn. 30) By the mid 18th century the Hampstead part of Childs Hill was divided in two by the road later called Platt's Lane, which ran from West End and Fortune Green to the heath, Hampstead town, and Hendon. It was entirely occupied by two estates, both of which may have originated as land of the Templars. A farmhouse on the edge of the heath in the north part of the larger estate (fn. 31) had apparently become detached from the farmland before 1811, when it was enlarged by Thomas Platt as a 'pleasing and unostentatious' brick house set in well wooded grounds. (fn. 32)

The arrival of the Finchley road lessened the area's isolation. A house called Temple Park was built on the smaller Temples estate probably in the 1830s by Henry Weech Burgess, a prosperous Lancastrian. About the same time farm buildings were erected on Platt's estate fronting Platt's Lane. (fn. 33) In 1843, on the western portion of Childs Hill estate, T. Howard built Kidderpore Hall, a stuccoed Greek revival house with a slightly projecting colonnade, side pediments, and a semicircular bay, for John Teil, an East India merchant with tanneries in the district of Calcutta from which the house took its name. (fn. 34) The grounds became a private park and two lodges were added, one on the Finchley road in 1849, (fn. 35) the other on Platt's Lane in the late 1860s. (fn. 36) On a field of Platt's estate which jutted westward south of Teil's estate, four houses fronting Finchley Road were built in the 1840s in the district called New West End. (fn. 37) By 1870 the farm buildings at Platt's Lane had been replaced by a house. (fn. 38) Two cottages were built in Platt's Lane by P. Bell of West End in 1875 and 13 houses, mostly by George Pritchard, between 1884 and 1886. (fn. 39)

Some 9½ a.

of Henry Weech Burgess's estate had become a brickfield by 1864 (fn. 40) and Temple Park had become the Anglo-French College by 1873. (fn. 41) A few houses had been built in what became Burgess Hill by 1878 (fn. 42) and in 1880 Weech Road was constructed between Fortune Green Road and Finchley Road on the portion of Teil's estate purchased by the Burgesses in 1855. (fn. 43) Four houses were built there in 1880 and another 12 in 1887 by A. R. Amer and Becket. In 1886 there was building at the AngloFrench college. In 1890 Kidderpore Hall was acquired by Westfield College, which made considerable additions to it in 1904-5, and the rest of the estate given over to the builders. Building, mostly of detached or semi-detached houses fronting Platt's Lane, Finchley Road, Kidderpore Avenue, and Cecilia Road (later Kidderpore Gardens), was complete by 1913. (fn. 44) C. F. A. Voysey designed Annesley Lodge, no. 8 Platt's Lane, an L-shaped, roughcast house with sloping buttresses, 'astonishingly ahead of its date', for his father in 1896 on the corner with Kidderpore Avenue. Next to no. 14 Kidderpore Avenue, built in 1901 by the artist George Swinstead, was St. Luke's church, designed by Basil Champneys in 1898. At the southern end of the road was no. 4, built in 1900 in a highly decorated Tudor style. (fn. 45)

In 1886 Joseph Hoare, son of Samuel and brother of John Gurney Hoare, died after living for some 40 years at Childs Hill House, to which he added a storey. Although not pulled down until c. 1904, Childs Hill House was empty by c. 1897 when building began on the estate. (fn. 46) Between 1897 and 1913 Ferncroft, Hollycroft, and Rosecroft avenues were laid out and mostly semi-detached houses were built by George Hart. There were also several detached houses designed by C. H. B. Quennell, nos. 7 and 20 Rosecroft Avenue, designed in 1898, and Phyllis Court, no. 22, designed in 1905. Quennell designed several houses on the neighbouring demesne estate and Sir Guy Dawber, one of the architects of the nearby Hampstead Garden Suburb, was responsible for no. 46 Hollycroft Avenue, built in 1907. (fn. 47) At much the same time building was proceeding on the Burgess Park (Temples) estate: the same builder, George Hart, was responsible for Briardale Road and Clorane Gardens, where the houses were built between 1900 and 1910. (fn. 48) In 1905 on the Burgess Park estate 18 houses were built in Finchley Road, possibly including nos. 601 and 603 designed by Voysey, and by 1913 building was complete in Burgess Hill, Ardwick Road, and Weech Road and two houses had been built in Ranulf Road. (fn. 49) In 1901 a small piece on the western side of the Burgess Park estate was added to the cemetery. (fn. 50) A few years before, two houses had been built in Fortune Green Road on the estate facing the cemetery by undertakers. One, no. 128, noted for its Graeco-Egyptian stucco pastiche, survived. (fn. 51) All Souls Unitarian church was built to the south at the junction with Weech Road in 1903 and Burgess Park Mansions to the north about the same time. (fn. 52)

The cemetery did not blight development to the north and east as it had to the south and west, possibly because building north and east was necessarily later. Whereas in the 19th century proximity to cemeteries was disliked, by the 20th the open space in a built-up district was regarded as an asset. (fn. 53) The whole of the Childs Hill area was classed in 1930 as middle-class and wealthy. (fn. 54) There was building on all sites by the opening of the First World War and the only development between the wars was in Ranulf Road, where 13 houses were built by 1920 and the rest by 1930, (fn. 55) at Westfield College to which additions were made in 1920-3, (fn. 56) and at the corner of Fortune Green and Weech roads, where a block of flats, Weech Hall, replaced the Unitarian chapel in 1937. (fn. 57)

During the Second World War bombing destroyed several houses on the Burgess Park estate, including some in Ardwick Road (fn. 58) and two of Voysey's houses, nos. 601 and 603 Finchley Road, which were replaced by houses designed by R. Seifert. (fn. 59) A new block was added to Westfield College in 1962 (fn. 60) but from 1945 until the 1980s Childs Hill remained essentially unchanged. Inhabitants have included Thomas Masaryk, later first president of Czechoslovakia, at no. 21 Platt's Lane during the First World War, Leslie Brooke (d. 1940), the illustrator and father of Hampstead's M.P. Henry, at no. 28 Hollycroft Avenue, and Jonas Wolfe, cinema pioneer, at no. 4 Kidderpore Avenue during the 1940s. The musical Craxton family owned no. 14 Kidderpore Avenue from 1945 and during the 1960s James Gunn (d. 1965), the portrait painter, lived at no. 7 Kidderpore Avenue. (fn. 61)

Footnotes

26 For the part in Hendon, see V.C.H. Mdx. v.
27 C.U.L., Kk. V. 29, f. 34; cf. W.A.M. 32406, 32563; below, econ.
28 Stanford, Libr. Map of Lond. (1862 edn. with additions to 1865), sheet 1. Sometimes Plackets well: G.L.R.O., E/MW/H/I/2178.
29 G.L.R.O., E/MW/H/I/2311B.
30 Vestry mins. 22 Sept. 1801, 29 Mar., 20 Apr. 1802; below, pub. svces.
31 Below, other est., Temples and Childs Hill; Rocque, Map of Lond. (1741-5), sheet 12; S.C.L., Man. Map and Fieldbk. nos. 568-70, A 571-81.
32 Brewer, Beauties of Eng. & Wales, x (4), 201; C. White, Sweet Hampstead, 93. The rateable value of the ho. doubled between 1810 and 1813: poor rate bks. 1810, 1813; below, other est.
33 P.R.O., IR 29/21/24, nos. 58A-59, 60-61A; Cruchley's New Plan (1829).
34 Wade, Streets of Hampstead, 22; Pevsner, Lond. ii. 189; Barratt, Annals, ii. 251.
35 D.S.R.
36 Stanford, Libr. Map of Lond. (1862 edn. with additions to 1865), sheet 1; O.S. Map 1/2,500, Lond. VII (1870 edn.).
37 D.S.R.; Laurie's Plan of Lond., Westm. (1842); J. Wyld, Map of Lond. and Environs (1848).
38 Stanford, Libr. Map of Lond. (1862 edn. with additions to 1865), sheet 1; O.S. Map 1/2,500, Lond. VII (1870 edn.).
39 D.S.R.
40 Rate bk. 1864; below, econ., ind.
41 Wade, W. Hampstead, 59.
42 Metrop. Improvement Map No. 46 (1878).
43 Wade, W. Hampstead, 63; G.L.R.O., E/MW/H, old no. 27/15 (sales parts. 1855).
44 D.S.R.; L.C.C. Municipal Map of Lond. (1913); Wade, Streets of Hampstead, 22.
45 D.S.R.; A. Service, Architects of Lond. (1979), 151-2; Pevsner, Lond. ii. 186, 198; O.S. Map 1/2,500, TQ 2585 (1955 edn.); Wade, Streets of Hampstead, 22; below, plate 17.
46 C.H.R. ix. 18-19; C. White, Sweet Hampstead, 93; Thompson, Hampstead, 344; Kelly's Dir. Hampstead and Highgate (1889-90, 1900).
47 D.S.R.; Wade, Streets of Hampstead, 23; Pevsner, Lond. ii. 197; A. S. Gray, Edwardian Archit. (1985), 299; O.S. Map 1/2,500, TQ 2586 (1969 edn.).
48 D.S.R.; Wade, Streets of Hampstead, 23.
49 D.S.R.; Gray, Edwardian Archit. 265; L.C.C. Municipal Map of Lond. (1913).
50 Wade, W. Hampstead, 62.
51 Ibid. 63; S.C.L., Town and Country Planning, 52nd List of Bldgs. (1974).
52 Kelly's Dir. Hampstead and Childs Hill (1900, 1905); below, prot. nonconf.
53 Thompson, Hampstead, 376.
54 New Lond. Life and Labour, vii, maps 8, 10, 11.
55 Kelly's Dir. Hampstead and Childs Hill (1920, 1939); L.C.C. Municipal Map of Lond. (1930).
56 V.C.H. Mdx. i. 359.
57 D.S.R.; Wade, W. Hampstead, 63.
58 Hampstead 1939-45 (Camden History Soc. 1977).
59 Gray, Edwardian Archit. 265.
60 V.C.H. Mdx. i. 359
61 Wade, W. Hampstead, 22-3.