An otherwise unknown minister called Arnhall or Arnold was
said to have been ejected at Paddington in 1662. (fn. 17)
Rooms were registered for worship by Baptists in
1791 and 1794, the first of them being in Star and
Garter Mews, (fn. 18) but probably were not used for long.
Dissenters had no meeting house in 1810, when
several who were resident worshipped outside the
parish and some Methodists were reported. (fn. 19) Independents, who registered houses near St. George's
burial ground in 1812 and 1815, (fn. 20) presumably could
attend Marylebone's Paddington chapel from 1813.
Bishop Blomfield and his predecessors were accused
in 1853 of having obstructed Dissent by restrictive
leasing: although some chapels stood on sites which
had been leased without restrictions, many people
still worshipped in Marylebone. (fn. 21) Later the most
flourishing chapels served shopkeepers, clerks, and
artisans who lived north or west of the Paddington
Estate; (fn. 22) the Baptist leader John Clifford, who
secured a site in Westbourne Park Place in 1872, recalled that the Ecclesiastical Commissioners had
denied him land at Paddington green. (fn. 23)
From the opening of the canal boatmen's chapel
in 1828, much nonconformity was closely linked
with social welfare. John Clifford's work in the early
1860s gave rise to a claim that his Praed Street chapel
was London's first 'institutional' church and later his
activities were multiplied at Westbourne Park. (fn. 24)
Nonconformity was considered relatively weak in the
wealthy southern part of Paddington in 1899, although Clifford's Baptists rivalled the Anglicans in
the middle-class parishes of St. Matthew's and St.
Stephen's. Congregationalists, following Clifford's
example, were most active in Queen's Park, where
the Wesleyans' following was made up largely of
immigrants from the country. (fn. 25) In 1902 Baptists
formed the leading sect with 3,398 attendances, followed by Methodists with 2,223, Congregationalists
with 1,991, and Presbyterians with 552. (fn. 26) Some
chapels closed soon after the First World War and
others after the Second, a few bomb-damaged ones
being rebuilt. (fn. 27)
Baptists. Praed Street chapel began with mtgs. in
ho. in Praed Street at expense of Mrs. Alice Ludford
1827. Moved to Church Street, Marylebone, 1831,
where admitted to New Connexion 1832. (fn. 28) Seceders
joined cong. from Edward Street c. 1840 and bought
lease of tabernacle built c. 1818 by Inds. near E. end
of Praed Street. (fn. 29) Attendance 1851: 264 and 150
Sun. sch. a.m.; 498 p.m. (fn. 30) John Clifford (1836-
1923), pastor from 1858, (fn. 31) increased seating 1872
but moved main ch. to Westbourne Pk. (fn. 32) below.
Attendance 1886: 191 a.m.; 317 evg.; 1902: 101
a.m.; 129 p.m. Closed by 1910. (fn. 33)
Bapts. in Charles Street 1838 moved to Crawford
Pl., Marylebone, 1845. (fn. 34) Bapt. chapel reg. at no. 5B
Newcastle Pl., Edgware Rd., former dancing academy, 1838. (fn. 35) Perhaps used by Inds. 1851. (fn. 36)
Westbourne Grove Bapt. ch. moved from Silver
Street, Kensington, to NE. corner of Westbourne
Grove and Ledbury Rd. 1853; new site on Kensington side of boundary until 1900. (fn. 37) Bldg. of Kentish
ragstone with Bath stone dressings in Early Eng.
style; twin towers with spires. Enlarged by galleries
1859 and extended 1866 to seat 2,000. 'Largest
chapel yet seen in London' and one of most influential 1872. (fn. 38) More traditional than Westbourne Pk.
ch. 1899. (fn. 39) Attendance 1886: 417 a.m.; 545 evg.;
1902: 228 a.m.; 344 evg.
Beulah chapel, Paddington green, although said
to have begun in Marylands Rd. 1853, (fn. 40) was presumably freehold chapel recorded at entrance to
green 1853. (fn. 41) In Grove Street, Marylebone, 1857
and Marylebone Rd. 1859, but at no. 29 Harrow Rd.
by 1862. (fn. 42) Attendance 1886: 65 a.m.; 97 evg.; 1902:
33 a.m.; 46 p.m. Moved to Cornwall Rd. (later part
of Westbourne Pk. Rd.), Notting Hill, c. 1911. Strict
Bapt. 1912. (fn. 43) Closed after 1951. (fn. 44)
St. Peter's Pk. ch., perhaps chapel in Marylands
Rd. 1875, (fn. 45) reg. for Particular Bapts. S. corner of
Shirland Rd. and Elgin Ave. 1876. (fn. 46) Attendance
1886: 100 a.m.; 96 evg.; 1902: 38 a.m.; 60 p.m.
Small brick bldg. below rd. level 1911, (fn. 47) when
recently closed. (fn. 48)
Westbourne Park chapel opened at S. corner of
Porchester Rd. and Westbourne Pk. Villas 1877.
Site acquired by John Clifford, who moved to no. 51
Porchester Rd. from Praed Street (q.v.). Bldg. of red
brick with stone dressings in Early Eng. style by J.
Wallis Chapman, deacon; 15 rooms for numerous
mtgs. (fn. 49) Attendance 1886: 1,023 a.m.; 1,456 evg.
Total Sun. attendance 1902 much the largest at any
place of worship in Paddington: 910 a.m.; 1,303
p.m. Church, seating 1,050 in 1928, (fn. 50) bombed 1944,
when svces. moved to Clifford memorial hall, built
1928. New ch. of pale brick with Portland stone
dressings in contemporary style, seating 300 and
with rooms beneath, opened 1962. (fn. 51) Besides nearby
institute (fn. 52) and girls' home, (fn. 53) Clifford opened mission
in Bosworth Rd., Kensal New Town, and helped to
found other suburban chs. (fn. 54) Mission in Hall Pk.,
Edgware Rd., survived 1928. (fn. 55) Attendance 1902:
Queen's Pk. tabernacle, Herries Street, was reg. as
evangelistic mission from 1887 until 1925. (fn. 56) Presumably on E. side between nos. 96 and 98, called
Wycliffe Union tabernacle 1888-91 and 1910 and
listed as Bapt. 1888-93. (fn. 57) Attendance 1902: 75 a.m.;
Room in Poplar Pl., S. of Moscow
Rd., reg. for dissenters 1823, (fn. 58) may have been
preaching room opened for Primitive Meths. 1850.
Attendance 1851: 12 a.m.; 18 aft.; 29 evg. (fn. 59) Probably closed by 1863. (fn. 60)
Bayswater Wes. chapel, with 150 free sittings and
158 others 1851, probably originated in Poplar Pl.
bldg. reg. 1824. By 1843 chapel was next to orphanage in Royal Hill, Queen's Rd. (later Queensway),
perhaps where bldg. was reg. 1861. (fn. 61) Attendance
1851: 163 and 98 Sun. sch. a.m.; 128 and 26 Sun.
sch. p.m. (fn. 62) New bldg. in Queen's Rd., of white brick
with stone facings in Dec. style, and seating c. 900
in semicircular interior with galleries, reg. for
United Meth. Free Ch. 1868. (fn. 63) Attendance 1886:
113 a.m.; 125 evg.; 1902: 110 a.m.; 137 p.m. Bldg.
bought for conversion to Ethical ch. (below) 1909. (fn. 64)
United Meth. Free ch. on N. side of Brindley
Street, backing canal, recorded 1879 and 1886. (fn. 65)
Sutherland Ave. Wes. ch., at W. corner of Shirland Rd. and Sutherland Gdns. (later part of Sutherland Ave.), opened between 1872 and 1875. (fn. 66) Large
red-brick bldg. over schs. 1876. (fn. 67) Sent mission
teams to Queen's Pk., with svces. in Moberley sch.
and Kilburn Lane. (fn. 68) Attendance 1886: 641 a.m.;
702 evg.; 1902: 245 a.m.; 295 p.m. Replaced by
room on ground floor of ho. in Sutherland Ave. reg.
1948. Closed 1979. (fn. 69)
Harrow Rd. Primitive Meth. ch., at W. end of
Blomfield Terr. at corner of Chichester Pl. and
Harrow Rd., reg. 1878. Bldg., perhaps former Presb.
ch. (q.v.), of contrasting bands of brick. (fn. 70) Attendance 1902: 137 a.m.; 91 p.m. Closed c. 1940. (fn. 71)
Kilburn Lane Primitive Meth. ch., at W. corner
of Herries Street and Kilburn Lane, reg. 1884. Iron
bldg. 1886, 1910. Attendance 1902: 197 a.m.; 219
p.m. Closed by 1937. (fn. 72)
Trinity Wes. ch., (fn. 73) at S. corner of Croxley and
Fernhead rds., opened 1886. Bldg. of brick with
stone dressings 1885; round-headed windows, pedimented entrance flanked by 3-stage towers with
corner pinnacles. Attendance 1902: 329 a.m.; 463
p.m. Ch. bombed 1941, svces. moving to lecture hall
of 1888 and then to reopened Sun. sch. hall 1944.
Joined by former Percy Rd. (Bible Christian) Meth.
ch. (fn. 74) 1947. New ch. of yellow brick in contemporary
style, adjoining hall of 1949 and seating 200, opened
1959. (fn. 75)
Meth. International Ho., mother ho. of several
homes, opened at no. 4 Inverness Terr. 1950. Chapel
in room on ground floor reg. 1951 but svces. held in
lounge from c. 1975. (fn. 76)
Providence chapel, Newcastle Pl., called Ind. 1851, may have been chapel
reg. for Bapts. 1838 (q.v.). Part of bldg. of 1820, with
50 free sittings and 100 others. Attendance 1851:
30 a.m.; 50 p.m. (fn. 77) Closed by 1862. (fn. 78)
Craven Hill Cong. ch., E. side Craven Terr.,
formed 1846. (fn. 79) Bldg. in Dec. style, seating c. 700,
reg. 1862. (fn. 80) Attendance 1886: 286 a.m.; 361 evg.;
1902: 112 a.m.; 105 p.m. Closed 1911, opening new
chapel in Wrentham Ave., Brondesbury Pk., 1912. (fn. 81)
Craven Hill chapel sold to Jehovah's Witnesses
Queen's Pk. Cong. ch., at W. corner of Third Ave.
and Harrow Rd., formed 1884. (fn. 82) Bldg. reg. 1887,
later used as hall. Adjoining ch. of brick with stone
dressings in Gothic style reg. 1890. (fn. 83) Largest and
most active ch. in Queen's Pk. 1902. (fn. 84) Attendance
1902: 547 a.m.; 1,227 p.m. Utd. Ref. ch. from 1972.
First bldg. demol. by 1982, when ch. seated 925. (fn. 85)
Catholic Apostolic Ch.
Bldg. of 1835 SE. of
Paddington green, later said to be between nos. 62
and 63 or 65 and 67 Harrow Rd., used as Cath.
Apostolic ch. from c. 1845. Attendance 1851, when
300 free sittings: 200 a.m.; 100 p.m.; (fn. 86) 1886: 260
a.m.; 200 evg. Replaced by large new ch. in Maida
Hill West, reg. 1894. (fn. 87) Bldg. of red brick with stone
dressings in Early Eng. style by J. L. Pearson begun
1891: aisled and clerestoried nave, polygonal apse
with ambulatory, apsidal SE. chapel with ambulatory, apsidal W. baptistery beneath W. gallery; 2 W.
porches; stump of SW. tower. Pearson's only Eng.
ch. built for non-Anglicans. (fn. 88) Attendance 1902: 245
a.m.; 244 p.m. One of 22 Cath. Apostolic chs. open
1962; sole survivor 1981. (fn. 89)
Harrow Rd. ch., Blomfield Terr.,
was reg. by Presb. Ch. of Eng. from 1861 until
1878. (fn. 90)
Westbourne Grove ch., N. end of Westbourne
Grove Terr., was reg. by United Presb. Ch. 1863
and, as St. Paul's ch., by Presb. Ch. of Eng. 1877. (fn. 91)
Bldg. in Gothic style by W. G. Habershon. (fn. 92)
Attendance 1886: 189 a.m.; 300 evg.; 1902: 168
a.m.; 116 p.m. Built 4-storeyed ch. ho. in Newton
Rd. c. 1903. (fn. 93) Reg. as Bayswater Presb. ch. (Trinity
and St. Paul's) 1919, on union with Trinity ch.,
Kensington Pk. Rd., Kensington. Ch. closed 1970,
when ch. ho. reg. with seating for 100. Called Bayswater Utd. Ref. ch. from 1972. (fn. 94)
Welsh Calvinistic Meths. reg. ch. at N. corner of
Braden Street and Shirland Rd. 1874. (fn. 95) Called
Presb. Ch. of Wales 1981 and earlier, (fn. 96) although
sometimes listed as Meth. (fn. 97) Bldg. of brick, stuccoed
front with pedimented centre. (fn. 98) Attendance 1886:
125 a.m.; 200 evg.; 1902: 70 a.m.; 198 p.m.
French Evangelical Reformed ch., Monmouth Rd., Westbourne Grove,
formed 1861 and reg. 1866. Attendance 1886: 73
a.m.; 52 evg. Supported day sch. in Bedford Passage,
St. Pancras, and home for governesses 1914. (fn. 99) Closed
between 1949 and 1952. (fn. 1) Brick bldg., with stuccoed
and pedimented front, acquired by Jehovah's
No. 5 Newcastle Pl. (formerly
Bapt. q.v.) reg. 1884 to 1886. (fn. 2)
Gt. Western hall, no. 55 Harrow Rd., reg. 1895.
Beds for 200 men 1901. (fn. 3) Attendance 1902: 95 a.m.;
265 p.m. Replaced 1938 by hall at no. 3 South
Wharf Rd., closed by 1954. (fn. 4)
No. 93 Lancefield Street, Kensal Town, reg. 1901
to 1926. Attendance 1902: 33 a.m.; 74 p.m. Perhaps
replaced by Ranelagh hall, part of nos. 34-8 Cirencester Street, reg. 1932 and replaced by no. 228
Harrow Rd., reg. 1962 to 1965. (fn. 5)
Plymouth Brethren used Moscow hall
at no. 23 Moscow Rd. 1872, 1888. (fn. 6) Presumably different group used New Providence hall. Attendance
1902: 43 a.m.; 49 p.m.
Hope hall, Kilburn Lane, reg. by Open Brethren
1903, was presumably Hope hall, Kilburn Pl., reg.
1967. (fn. 7) Attendance 1902: 46 a.m.; 110 p.m.
No. 593 Harrow Rd., Queen's Pk., was reg. for
Brotherhood Ch. 1898. Assembly rooms at no. 742
Harrow Rd. were reg. for Plymouth Brethren 1912,
replaced by Hermon hall at no. 598 in 1914, and by
Prospect hall at no. 593 in 1926. (fn. 8)
Other Denominations And Unspecified Missions.
Boatmen's chapel, (fn. 9) Junction Mews, Sale Street
(later Pl.), opened by Paddington Soc. for Promoting
Christian Knowledge among Canal Boatmen and
Others 1828. Interdenominational but said to be
connected with Inds.' Paddington chapel, Marylebone, 1853 and sometimes listed as Wes. Meth. (fn. 10)
Bldg. a converted coach ho. leased and in 1832
bought from Grand Junction Canal Co. Attendance
1851, when 240 free sittings: 33 afternoon; 30 and 5
Sun. sch. evg. Later, as Boatmen's institution,
administered by Lond. City Mission. (fn. 11) Attendance
1902: 52 p.m. Closed by 1921. (fn. 12)
Unspecified Protestants reg. rooms at no. 4 North
Wharf Rd. 1829. (fn. 13)
Latter-day Saints reg. bldg. in Queen's Rd. from
1853 to 1866 and Gt. Western hall, Market Street,
from 1857 to 1866. (fn. 14)
Cabmen's mission hall was at no. 7 Burwood
Mews 1878. (fn. 15)
Coachmen's mission was at no. 18 Conduit Pl.,
London Street, 1878, 1886. (fn. 16)
Railway Mission had hall at no. 88 Kensal Rd. by
1888 and reg. no. 92 Kensal Rd. 1906. (fn. 17) Attendance
1902: 45 p.m.
London City Mission at no. 2 Cuthbert Street,
Edgware Rd., 1882, 1902 (fn. 18) and Amberley Rd. 1903.
Attendance 1902: 70 p.m.
Established Paddington Wharves mission reg. by
Lond. City Mission at Church Pl. (later Unwin
Pl.) (fn. 19) 1930, moved to nearby no. 95 Harrow Rd. by
1941, (fn. 20) and back to Unwin Pl. by 1951, closing between 1959 and 1964. (fn. 21) Attendance 1902: 43 p.m.
West Lond. Ethical Soc., formed 1892 and called
Ethical Ch. from 1914, reg. former Meth. ch. in
Queen's Rd. 1909. Eclectic beliefs, bldg. being fitted
with stained glass windows of Joan of Arc, Elizabeth
Fry, and Bernard Shaw. (fn. 22) Ethical Ch. reg. basement
of min.'s ho. no. 4A Inverness Pl. from 1946 to 1954,
Queensway bldg. being reg. by undesignated Christians 1946 and later as Rom. Cath. ch. of Our Lady
of Heaven (q.v.). (fn. 23)
Jehovah's Witnesses (fn. 24) used nos. 34 and 36 Craven
Terr. as headquarters in Britain from 1911 until
move to Mill Hill 1958. (fn. 25) No. 34 accommodated
staff and no. 36, previously Craven Hill Cong.
chapel, served as Lond. tabernacle, later Kingdom
hall. Former French Prot. ch. in Monmouth Rd.
used as Kingdom hall from 1977. (fn. 26)
Paddington hall, Church Street, reg. for unsectarian worship 1904 to 1954. Attendance 1902: 68
p.m. (fn. 27)
Evangelical Protestants reg. Ranelagh hall, Cirencester Street (probably Ranelagh Rd. hall 1878,
1886) 1904 to 1932. Attendance 1902: 180 p.m. (fn. 28)
Church Mystical Union was at no. 35 Norfolk Sq.
1930. (fn. 29)
Paddington Sanctuary Spiritualist ch. was at no.
252 Harrow Rd. 1939. (fn. 30)
Unity Sch. of Christianity reg. ground floor of no.
6 Stanhope Terr. as Unity Ho. 1943 to 1954. (fn. 31)
Assemblies of God reg. ground floor of no. 141
Harrow Rd., having moved from no. 184A Edgware
Rd., Marylebone, 1946; (fn. 32) called Assembly of God
revival centre 1975 (fn. 33) and Pentecostal ch. 1986. (fn. 34)
Christians reg. Ilbert Street hall, Queen's Pk.,
1951. (fn. 35)