This volume continues the topographical description of Northamptonshire
parishes from the point at which work was suspended after the publication of
Volume IV of the History in 1937. It deals with about a dozen rural parishes in the
extreme south of the county, adjoining the Buckinghamshire border.
Work on V.C.H. in Northamptonshire was resumed in September 1996 under a
tripartite agreement between the Institute of Historical Research of the University
of London, Nene College of Higher Education (now University College, Northampton) and the Northamptonshire Victoria County History Trust. This agreement terminated in August 2000, when the contracts of employment of the county
editor and assistant editor at the College were not renewed. The volume was
completed under a compromise agreement between the College and its two former
staff, which expired in December 2001, when work on the Northamptonshire
History was once again suspended. The book has been seen through the press by
the former county editor.
In addition to those mentioned in the footnotes, who have helped with individual
chapters, sincere thanks are due to the staff of the Northamptonshire Record Office
and other repositories; to Mr. Peter Moyse, who took most of the photographs for
the plates; to the Trustees of the Arnold Charity and the Society of Merchant
Venturers of Bristol for access to records in their custody; to Dr. John Blair of The
Queen's College, Oxford (who revised the architectural descriptions of the
churches); and to students who attended continuing education classes conducted
by the former county editor at the Northamptonshire Record Office.
The accounts of individual parishes have been written jointly by the former
county editor and his assistant, with Dr. Insley taking responsibility chiefly for the
sections on manors and the church. The arrangement of the material in general
follows the well established principles of the History, although by way of
innovation a longer and more discursive introduction to the hundred as a whole
has been included, together with a separate account of the honor of Grafton, which
between 1542 and 1920 was by far the most important landed estate in the district.