List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Alan Crossley, C R Elrington (Editors), Eleanor Chance, Christina Colvin, Janet Cooper, C J Day, T G Hassall, Mary Jessup, Nesta Selwyn

Year published

1979

Supporting documents

Pages

11-12

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 4: The City of Oxford (1979), pp. XI-XII. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22795 Date accessed: 17 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

For permission to reproduce pictures in their possession and for the loan of photographic prints and negatives thanks are rendered to the Bodleian Library, the Oxfordshire County Libraries, the Ashmolean Museum, British Leyland, Mr. lan Fleming-Williams, and the Revd. N. M. Ramm.

North Gate and Bocardo from the north c. 1770. Water-colour by J. B. Malchair in the possession of Mr. lan Fleming-Williams frontispiece
Magdalen Bridge c. 1770. Drawing by J. B. Malchair in the Ashmolean Museum facing page 60
Folly Bridge and Friar Bacon's Study, 1765. Drawing by J. B. Malchair in the Ashmolean Museum " 60
The guild hall, demolished in 1751. Drawing in the Bodleian Library " 61
The town seal, 12th-century. Impression of 1384 reproduced in H. E. Salter, Oxf. City Properties " 61
The mayor's seal, 15th-century. From a cast in the Bodleian Library " 61
The seal of the weavers' guild, c. 1300. From a cast in the Ashmolean Museum " 61
Middle Row in 1819. Photograph in the Bodleian Library of a drawing by William Turner of Oxford " 76
Gravel Walk, High Street, in 1822. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library " 76
High Street in 1755. Engraving by J. Donowell in the Bodleian Library " 77
St. George's tower and Quaking Bridge in 1804. Drawing by J. C. Nattes in the Bodleian Library " 140
Cornmarket Street c. 1840, looking south. Drawing by William Turner of Oxford in the Ashmolean Museum " 140
Carfax in 1755. Engraving by J. Donowell in the Bodleian Library " 141
The Three Tuns, High Street, c. 1720. Drawing in the Bodleian Library " 156
No. 126 High Street, before 19th-century alterations. Mid-19th-century lithograph, presumably based on an earlier drawing, in the Bodleian Library " 156
Kemp Hall in 1868. Engraving by J. H. Le Keux in the Bodleian Library " 156
Nixon's School in 1825. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library " 157
Silver badge worn by pensioners of John Harris's charity. In the plate room, Oxford town hall " 157
Mary Matthew (d. c. 1587). Undated painted panel in St. John's College " 220
Alderman John Nixon (d. 1662). Portrain of 1659 in Oxford town hall " 220
Alderman William Fletcher (d. 1826). Portrait of 1798 in Oxford town hall " 220
Alderman Charles Sadler (d. 1872). Undated portrait by Sir William Boxall in Oxford town hall " 220
The Angel inn, High Street, in 1823. Drawing by James Fisher in the Bodleian Library " 221
Early-18th-century house (Seal's coffee-house) c. 1880. Photograph in the Bodleian Library " 221
All Saints church in 1968. Photograph in possession of the rector of St. Michael's and All Saints " 236
Aldermanic election in the lower guild hall, 1687. Oil-painting by Egbert van Heemskerk in the Museum of Oxford " 236
St. Aldate's church from the south-west, 1810. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library " 237
St. Peter-in-the-East church: Holy Communion, 1825. Engraving by W. Wallis from a drawing by J. P. Neale, in the Bodleian Library " 237
The workhouse of 1772. Photograph in the Bodleian Library of a pencil sketch by J. C. Buckler, 1827, in the British Museum " 300
Beaumont Street under construction in the 1820s. Engraving by G. Hollis in the Bodleian Library " 300
High Street, St. Thomas's, in 1907. Photograph by H. W. Taunt in the Central Library, Westgate " 301
George Street, c. 1900. Photograph by F. A. Bellamy in the Central Library, Westgate " 301
The canal basin in 1901. Photograph by H. W. Taunt in the Central Library, Westgate facing page 316
St. Aldate's Street in 1900. Photograph by H. W. Taunt in the Central Library, Westgate " 316
St. Giles's Fair in 1868. Photograph by H. W. Taunt in the Central Library, Westgate " 317
Gloucester Green cattle market in the 1890s. Photograph by H. W. Taunt " 317
Carfax c. 1720. Engraving from B. Coles, Map of Port Meadow page 333
Arms of the City of Oxford, drawn by Patricia A. Tattersfield " 340
A typical North Oxford villa. Published in Building News, 23 Aug. 1867 facing page 396
St. Barnabas's church, Jericho, 1872. Drawing in the Bodleian Library " 396
Blackfriars Road, St. Ebbe's, in the 1950s. Photograph in the Central Library, Westgate " 397
One of the Cutteslowe walls, 1959. Photograph in the Central Library, Westgate " 397
Cooper's marmalade factory, Park End Street, c. 1910. Photograph by H. W. Taunt in the Central Library, Westgate " 412
The Lion Brewery, St. Thomas's, c. 1895. Photograph in the Bodleian Library " 412
Morris Motors: assembly of Bullnose Morrises in 1919. Photograph in the possession of British Leyland " 413
The Cowley factories in 1968. Photograph in the possession of British Leyland " 413