List of plates

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R J Currie, M W Greenslade (Editors), A P Baggs, M F Cleverdon, D A Johnston, N J Tringham

Year published

1996

Supporting documents

Pages

9-11

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of plates', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 7: Leek and the Moorlands (1996), pp. IX-XI. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22893 Date accessed: 30 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

LIST OF PLATES

Grateful acknowledgement is made to the following for permission to use material: the Britannia Building Society; Mrs. Christine Chester of Foxt; Miss M. F. Cleverdon of Leek; the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield Cathedral; the Leek and District Historical Society; the Leek Post & Times; the National Trust; Mr. G. H. Robinson of Endon; the Staffordshire Archive Service; the Staffordshire Library Service; the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council; the Trustees of the William Salt Library, Stafford; and Mr. A. R. Williamson of Endon. The illustrations numbered 4-6, 9, 21, and 48 are from photographs in the possession of the National Monuments Record of the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), Crown Copyright, and those numbered 8, 27, 37, 54, and 63 are from photographs in the possession of the Staffordshire Planning and Economic Development Department; grateful acknowledgement is made to both. Photographs dated 1995 are by R. A. Meeson.

Between pages 136 and 137
1. Leek from the south-west. From J. Aikin, A Description of the Country from thirty to forty miles round Manchester (no date, preface dated 1795), plate facing p. 538
2. Leek from the south. From a grangerized copy of R. Plot, The Natural History of Staffordshire in the William Salt Library (S. 1536), i, facing p. 2
3. Leek from the north-east. Water-colour drawing by L. J. Wood, in Staffordshire Views, v. 105, at the William Salt Library
4. Leek: St. Edward's church: pre-Norman cross in the churchyard. Photograph by T. E. Routh
5. Leek: St. Edward's church: pre-Norman cross in the churchyard. Photograph by Margaret Anderson
6. Leek: St. Edward's church: carving on a stone in the church from a pre-Norman cross. Photograph by T. E. Routh
7. Leek: St. Edward's church: view from the south-east in 1844. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, v. 108, at the William Salt Library
8. Leek: All Saints' church: view from the north-west. Undated photograph
9. Leek: All Saints' church: the interior. Photograph by Marcus Whiffen, 1950
10. Longnor: St. Bartholomew's church from the south-east in 1847. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, vii. 43, at the William Salt Library
11. Warslow: St. Lawrence's church from the south-east in 1847. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, xi. 140, at the William Salt Library
12. Horton: St. Michael's church from the south-east in 1844. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, iv. 350, at the William Salt Library
13. Alstonefield: St. Peter's church from the south-east in 1839. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, i. 41a, at the William Salt Library
14. Onecote: St. Luke's church from the south-east in 1847. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, vii. 130, at the William Salt Library
15. Rushton Spencer: St. Lawrence's church from the south-east in 1844. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, viii. 123, at the William Salt Library
16. Meerbrook: St. Matthew's church from the south-west before 1870. Undated water-colour drawing by L. J. Wood, in Staffordshire Views, vii. 73, at the William Salt Library
17. Endon: St. Luke's church from the south-east in 1844. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, iv. 165b, at the William Salt Library
18. Upper Elkstone: the interior of St. John's church in 1857. Water-colour drawing in the collection by Rebecca Moore and Theodosia Hinckes in Lichfield Cathedral Library (volume iv, no. 22)
19. Rushton Spencer: the interior of St. Lawrence's church in 1857. Water-colour drawing in the collection by Rebecca Moore and Theodosia Hinckes in Lichfield Cathedral Library (volume v, no. 18)
20. Sheen: St. Luke's church, the school, and the vicarage in 1857. Water-colour drawing in the collection by Rebecca Moore and Theodosia Hinckes in Lichfield Cathedral Library (volume iv, no. 17)
21. Alstonefield: the pulpit in St. Peter's church. Photograph by F. J. Palmer, 1949
22. Alstonefield: the south front of Beresford Hall (demolished in 1858). From F. Manning, A Series of Views, taken on the spot, intended to illustrate Charles Cotton's Work, entitled, The Second Part of the Complete Angler ... (no date, introduction dated 1866), no. 9
23. Bradnop: the east front of Ashenhurst Hall (demolished in 1954). Drawing on a plan of the Ashenhurst estate dated 1775 in the Staffordshire Record Office, D. 1176/A/2/26
24. Leek: Westwood Hall: view from the south-east c. 1835. Lithograph by W. L. Walton from a sketch by Mrs. Davenport, in Staffordshire Views, xii. 37, at the William Salt Library
25. Leek: Westwood Hall: the south front after the extensions of 1851. From a sale catalogue of 1864 (copy in the Staffordshire Record Office, 4974/B/7/34)
26. Horton: Horton Hall from the south-west in 1844. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, v. 120, at the William Salt Library
27. Leekfrith: the south front of Abbey Farm. Undated photograph
28. Heaton: the west front of Swythamley Hall. Photograph, 1995
29. Alstonefield: the south front of Stanshope Hall. Photograph, 1995
30. Alstonefield: the east front of Stanshope Hall. Photograph, 1995
31. Longsdon: Harracles Hall from the north-west. Photograph by A. P. Baggs, 1992
32. Sheen: Broadmeadow Hall from the south-west. Photograph by M. F. Cleverdon, 1994
33. Warslow: the former vicarage from the south. Photograph, 1995
34. Horton: Cliffe Park from the south-east c. 1955. Postcard in the possession of Mrs. Christine Chester
35. Warslow: Warslow Hall from the north-east. Photograph, 1995
36. Endon: Endon Hall (demolished in the 1950s) from the south-east. Copy, in the possession of Mr. A. R. Williamson, of a photograph of 1928
37. Leek: Ball Lane, Petty France (demolished in the 1960s). Photograph by R. J. Sherlock, 1962
38. Leek: the town hall (demolished in 1988). Photograph by Shirley Palin, 1985, in the possession of the Leek Post & Times
39. Leek: the market place from the south. Photograph, 1995
40. Leek: the former police station in Leonard Street. Photograph, 1995
41. Leek: the former cattle market in Haywood Street. From Leek Urban District Council, New Leek Cattle Market (brochure for the opening of the new market in 1960), 29
42. Leek: the south end of the market place in 1844, with the Black's Head inn and the town hall. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, v. 118, at the William Salt Library
43. Leek: Derby Street in 1844, with the Roebuck inn and the Congregational chapel. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views, v. 116, at the William Salt Library
44. Leek: the railway station of 1849. Lithograph by S. O. Bailey, in Leek Library, Johnson scrapbook, 1 (iv), 7/1
45. Fawfieldhead: the former railway station at Hulme End. Photograph, 1995
46. Longsdon: the former pumping station of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Works Co. Coloured print in the William Salt Library, Sleigh scrapbook, ii, f. 25
47. Leek: the silk industry: the mills of Wardle & Davenport Ltd. From the Draper's Organiser, July 1924, p. ix (copy in the Staffordshire Record Office, D. 1214/A/3/6)
48. Leek: the silk industry: Albion Mill. Photograph by Marcus Whiffen, 1950
49. Leek: the silk industry: one of Brough, Nicholson & Hall's braid plaiting sheds. Photograph, probably of the 1890s, in Brough, Nicholson & Hall, General Price List, in the possession of Leek and District Historical Society
50. Leek: the silk industry: hand twisting at William Hill & Co.'s Star Silk Mills, Burton Street. From an album of photographs of the mills in 1933 in the possession of Mr. G. H. Robinson
51. Leek: Britannia House, the headquarters of the Britannia Building Society. Photograph in the possession of the Britannia Building Society
52. Quarnford: the former spinning mill at Gradbach. Photograph, 1995
53. Leek: the Ash almshouses in 1844. Drawing by J. Buckler, in Staffordshire Views. v. 117, at the William Salt Library
54. Leek: Moorlands Hospital, formerly the Leek poor-law union workhouse. Photograph, 1962
55. Alstonefield: the former workhouse. Photograph, 1995
56. Leek: the Congregational chapel in Derby Street (from 1977 Trinity church). Lithograph by Day & Son, in Leek Library, Johnson scrapbook, 2 (iv), 6/16
57. Leek: Brunswick Methodist chapel (demolished in 1977). Lithograph by Day & Son from a photograph by J. Hopwood, in Leek Library, Johnson scrapbook, 2 (iv), 6/8
58. Horton: Gratton Methodist church. Photograph, 1995
59. Leek: the Maude Church Institute and the former grammar school. Photograph, 1995
60. Hollinsclough: the former schoolroom and the former church of St. Agnes. Photograph, 1995
61. Fawfieldhead: St. John's church, Reaps Moor. Photograph, 1995
62. Meerbrook: the former school, from 1977 a youth hostel. Photograph, 1995
63. Alstonefield: Charles Cotton's fishing house. Photograph by Richard Preston, 1983
64. Sheen: Brund mill bridge before 1891. From J. P. Sheldon, Through Staffordshire Stiles and Derbyshire Dales (Derby, Leicester, and Nottingham, 1894), plate facing p. 1
65. Alstonefield: Viator's bridge and the site of the mill at Milldale. Photograph, 1995
66. Sir George Crewe and his son John in 1828. Painting by R. R. Reinagle, in the possession of the National Trust at Calke Abbey, Derbyshire
67. Sir Thomas Wardle. From T. Wardle, Kashmir: its new silk industry, with some account of its natural history, geology, sport etc. (1904)
68. Longnor: a house of 1774 in Chapel Street. Photograph, 1995
69. Longnor: the former Methodist chapel. Photograph, 1995
70. Longnor: the market place. Photograph, 1995