List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T P Hudson (Editor), A P Baggs, H M Warne

Year published

1997

Supporting documents

Pages

8-9

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 5 Part 1: Arundel Rape: south-western part, including Arundel (1997), pp. VIII-IX. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22926 Date accessed: 29 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

For permission to reproduce copyright material grateful acknowledgement is made to His Grace the Duke of Norfolk, K.G., G.C.V.O., C.B., C.B.E., M.C., the British Library, the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England for material from the National Monuments Record, and the West Sussex County Council for material from the West Sussex Record Office. Unattributed photographs dated 1988-90 are by J. M. H. Bevan and plans dated 1996 are by A. P. Baggs.

Arundel: the cathedral from the north-west. Photograph, 1966 (N.M.R.) frontispiece
Arundel: the castle and town. Engraving, 1644, by W. Hollar (W.S.R.O.) page 16
Arundel: the former West Sussex Gazette office in High Street. Photograph, late 19th century (W.S.R.O.) facing page 26
Arundel: the present-day vicarage, Maltravers Street. Photograph, 1990 " 26
Arundel: no. 21 Tarrant Street. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 26
Arundel: nos. 40-4 Maltravers Street. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 27
Arundel: nos. 55-61 Maltravers Street. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 27
Arundel: the castle from the east. Engraving, 1737, by S. and N. Buck (W.S.R.O.) page 40
Arundel: the south bailey of the castle. Painting, mid 18th century (His Grace the Duke of Norfolk) facing page 42
Arundel: benediction in the south bailey of the castle. Photograph, c. 1900 (His Grace the Duke of Norfolk) " 42
Arundel: rebuilding the castle. Photograph, late 19th century (W.S.R.O.) " 43
Arundel: the Norman undercroft in the south-east range of the south bailey of the castle. Photograph, 1994 (N.M.R.) " 43
Arundel: the castle in 1789. Plan, 1996, based on J. Dallaway, A History of the Western Division of the County of Sussex, ii (1) (1819) page 44
Arundel: the castle in 1815. Plan, 1996, based on J. Dallaway, A History of the Western Division of the County of Sussex, ii (1) (1819) " 44
Arundel: the castle in 1990. Plan, 1996 " 45
Arundel: the ruins of the Dominican friary. Etching, c. 1800 (W.S.R.O.) facing page 74
Tortington: the ruins of the priory. Photograph, 1988 " 74
Arundel: windmill south of the town. Photograph, c. 1900 (N.M.R.) " 75
Arundel: the port. Postcard, late 19th century " 75
Arundel: the Fitzalan chapel of the parish church. Engraving, late 19th century, by H. Gribble from Sussex Archaeological Collections, xxx page 88
Eastergate: Barnham market. Postcard, early 20th century (W.S.R.O.) facing page 90
Arundel: the market in High Street in the late 19th century. Postcard, 20th century (W.S.R.O.) " 90
Arundel: the medieval pulpit in the church. Postcard, early 20th century (W.S.R.O.) " 91
Arundel: statue on St. Mary's hall, London Road. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.). " 91
Arundel: the Roman Catholic cemetery. Photograph, 1988 " 91
Barnham: Barnham Court. Engraving from D. G. C. Elwes and C. J. Robinson, A History of the Castles, Mansions, and Manors of Western Sussex (1876) page 109
Climping: windmill. Photograph, late 19th century (W.S.R.O.) facing page 122
Yapton: canal bridge. Photograph, 1934 (N.M.R.) " 122
Walberton: nos. 1-3 Yapton Lane. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 123
Binsted: the former rectory. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 123
Climping: the former vicarage. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 123
Climping: Bailiffscourt house. Photograph, 1988 " 138
Climping: the chapel and re-erected buildings in the grounds of Bailiffscourt house. Photograph, 1988 " 138
Ford: houses of the 1930s in Nelson Row. Photograph, 1988 " 139
Climping: Brookpits Manor. Photograph, 1988 " 139
Climping: table of owners and occupiers of the chief farms, 1843 page 140
Felpham: the sea front. Postcard, early 20th century (W.S.R.O.) facing page 170
Felpham: the sea front. Photograph, 1988 " 170
Eastergate: Malthouse cottages. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 171
Eastergate: Shelley House. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 171
Eastergate: the Old House. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 171
Yapton: Berri Court. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 171
South Stoke: South Stoke Farmhouse. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 186
South Stoke: the Black Rabbit inn. Postcard, early 20th century (W.S.R.O.) " 186
Middleton: Arundel Way, Elmer. Photograph, mid 20th century (W.S.R.O.) " 187
Middleton: the old church. Lithograph, early 19th century (N.M.R.) " 187
Ford: the church from the south-west. Engraving by P. M. Johnston from Sussex Archaeological Collections, xliii page 188
Walberton: Avisford House from the north, 1790. Pen-and-wash drawing by S. H. Grimm, British Library Add. MS. 5674, f. 39 facing page 234
Yapton: Yapton Place from the north-west, 1782. Pen-and-wash drawing by S. H. Grimm, British Library Add. MS. 5674, f. 37 " 234
Tortington: the font in the church. Photograph, 1977 (N.M.R.) " 235
Felpham: the font in the church. Photograph, mid 20th century (N.M.R.) " 235
Binsted: wall painting in the church. Photograph, mid 20th century (N.M.R.) " 235
Tortington: the south doorway of the church. Photograph, 1977 (N.M.R.) " 235
Yapton: the former Congregational chapel, Main Road. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 250
Yapton: Bilsham chapel. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 250
Walberton: dovecot at Pigeon House farm. Photograph, 1996 (N.M.R.) " 251
Yapton: glasshouses at Pollards Nurseries. Photograph, 1988 " 251


Next:-->
List of maps