Kingsbury
Roman catholicism

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T F T Baker, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, Eileen P Scarff, G C Tyack

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

86

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Kingsbury: Roman catholicism', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 86. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26901 Date accessed: 27 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

ROMAN CATHOLICISM.

Only one recusant, Edward Robinson in 1624, (fn. 82) was associated with Kingsbury, where in 1676 (fn. 83) and 1706 there were said to be no papists (fn. 84) There were some Irish Roman Catholics in 1851, (fn. 85) but there is no further evidence of Roman Catholicism before the period of suburban expansion.

In 1924 the diocese of Westminster purchased a cottage and field adjoining Haydon House in Hay Lane for use as a camping ground for the Westminster Cathedral boy scouts. A small church was built there in 1925 and registered for worship in 1926. (fn. 86) It was dedicated to St. Sebastian and St. Pancras, the patron saints of scout officers and cadets respectively. In 1930 a permanent parish priest was appointed and the church was enlarged. Further enlargements took place in 1938 and 1958. (fn. 87)

The church of the English Martyrs in Barnhill Road, Chalkhill, was licensed for worship in 1930 (fn. 88) and opened, together with a presbytery, in 1931. (fn. 89) A new circular church in a contemporary style by John E. Sterrett and B. D. Kaye was opened in 1970 on a site in Blackbird Hill, to replace the former temporary structure. (fn. 90)

Footnotes

82 Mdx. Cnty. Recs. ii. 238.
83 William Salt Libr., Stafford, Salt MS. 33, p. 40.
84 Guildhall MS. 9800.
85 H.O. 107/1700/135/2 ff. 310-28.
86 G.R.O. Worship Reg. no. 50553.
87 Ex inf. the par. priest, 1969.
88 G.R.O. Worshop Reg. no. 52463.
89 H. W. R. Elsley, Wembley through the Ages, 195.
90 Wembley News, 10 July 1970.