Kingsbury
Judaism

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T F T Baker, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, Eileen P Scarff, G C Tyack

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

87

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Kingsbury: Judaism', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 87. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26903 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

JUDAISM.

A congregation of Jews affiliated to the United Synagogue first appeared in Kingsbury in 1939. (fn. 8) In 1942 Eden Lodge at Kingsbury Green was registered for worship, (fn. 9) becoming Kingsbury district synagogue in 1954. (fn. 10) A new synagogue was built on the site by David Stern & Partners, architects, in 1967. (fn. 11) It is a dark grey brick building with rough-cast buttresses, full-length stained glass windows and a wooden roof.

Footnotes

8 Jewish Yr. Bk. (1939).
9 G.R.O. Worship Reg. no. 60273.
10 Ibid. 64546.
11 Plaque at synagogue.