Little Stanmore
Protestant nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T F T Baker, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, Eileen P Scarff, G C Tyack

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Pages

124-125

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Little Stanmore: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 124-125. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26926 Date accessed: 30 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

PROTESTANT NONCONFORMITY.

In 1801 the house of Daniel Gardner was registered as a meeting-place for Independents. (fn. 56) In 1829 they worshipped in an upper room in Watling Street and in 1834 they built and registered the building known as Edgware chapel, (fn. 57) which was set back from the Little Stanmore side of the street, south of the Mason's Arms. (fn. 58) In 1851, when a Sunday school was also held there, the chapel could seat 120 worshippers; on Sundays about 40 people attended service in the morning and about 60 in the evening. (fn. 59) The chapel, which was closed after 1881 but reopened in 1893, was replaced by a building in Grove Road, Edgware, in 1937. (fn. 60)

In 1934 Baptist services were held in a tent and subsequently in a timber hall in Camrose Avenue. The hall, seating about 60 people, was registered as Camrose Baptist church in 1935 and was still standing in 1969. (fn. 61) A permanent church, on the corner of Camrose Avenue and Haverford Way, was founded later in 1935 and registered in 1936. (fn. 62) The church, of brick with stone dressings, has seats for 250 and stands next to a brick hall, built c. 1948 to seat some 60 people. (fn. 63) The Christian Science Society registered a hall on the north side of Valencia Road in 1949. (fn. 64) The Assemblies of God registered a brick hall on the north side of Bacon Lane in 1963. (fn. 65)

Footnotes

56 Guildhall MSS. 9580/2.
57 Letter from C. L. Holness penes Harrow Cent. Ref. Libr.; G.R.O. Worship Returns, Lonc. dioc. no. 1840.
58 O.S. Map 1/2,500, Mdx.
59 H.O. 129/135/2/2/5.
60 V.C.H.Mdx.iv. 167.
61 Ex inf. Mr. E. J. T. Neal; G.R.O. Worship Reg. No. 55778.
62 Date on building; G.R.O. Worship Reg. no. 56730.
63 Baptist Handbk. (1969); ex inf. Mr. E. J. T. Neal.
64 G.R.O. Worship Reg. no. 62209.
65 Ibid. 69142.