Little Stanmore
Judaism

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T F T Baker, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, Eileen P Scarff, G C Tyack

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

125

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Little Stanmore: Judaism', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 125. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26927 Date accessed: 23 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

JUDAISM.

After the Second World War Jews worshipped in private houses, in the Bernays institute, and in huts which served as a community centre in Merrion Avenue. In 1970 the Bernays institute was still used on high holydays but the huts had been replaced by Terminal House. (fn. 66) Stanmore and Canons Park District synagogue, whose members belong to the United Synagogue, (fn. 67) was consecrated in 1951. (fn. 68) The building, in London Road, is of yellow-brown brick and has a flat roof. It adjoins the Stanmore Jewish community centre, built of similar materials and comprising a hall and classrooms, which was opened in 1963. The synagogue itself was reconsecrated, after internal alterations, in 1969. (fn. 69)

Footnotes

66 Ex inf. the minister.
67 Jewish Yr.Bk. (1969).
68 G.R.O.Worship Reg. no. 62892; ex inf. the minister.
69 Ex inf. the minister.