Appendix
Names of prebends of St Paul's

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Joyce M. Horn

Year published

1963

Supporting documents

Page

72

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Appendix: Names of prebends of St Paul's', Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1300-1541: volume 5: St Paul's, London (1963), pp. 72. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=32417 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

APPENDIX 1

Names of the Prebends of St Paul's.

The prebends have been called by the names which are in current use in the cathedral and are given in the London Diocesan Handbook for 1962, and in the practically identical list in the St Paul's Cathedral Calendar for the same year. Variants from these, in Le Neve-Hardy and in the present place-names, are shown in the following table.

London Diocesan Handbook and St Paul's Calendar Variants in Le Neve-Hardy Variants in present place-names
Broomesbury Bromesbury Brondesbury, Mdx.
Brownswood
Cadington Major (fn. 1) Caddington, Beds.
Caddington Minor (fn. 1) Cadington Minor
Cantlers Kentish-town Kentish Town, Mdx.
Chamberlainwood Chamberlain Wood
Chiswick
Consumpta-per-Mare (fn. 2) Consumpta per Mare
Ealdland
Ealdstreet
Finsbury or Holywell
Harleston Harlesden, Mdx.
Holbourn Holborn Holborn, Mdx.
Hoxton
Islington or Isledon
Mapesbury
Mora
Nesden Neasdon Neasden, Mdx.
Newington Stoke Newington, Mdx.
Oxgate
Pancratius (fn. 3) St Pancras St Pancras, Mdx.
Portpool Portpoole
Reculversland Reculverland
Rugmere
Sneating
Totenhall Tottenham Court, Mdx.
Twiford Twyford East Twyford, Mdx.
Weldland Wildland
Wenlocksbarn Wenlakesbarn
Wilsden Willesdon Willesden, Mdx.

Footnotes

1 In the interests of consistency, the liberty has been taken of spelling both Caddington Major and Minor with a double 'd', in the present edition of the Fasti, after the present place-name.
2 St Paul's Calendar omits the hyphens.
3 St Paul's Calendar calls it 'St Pancratius'.