Prebendaries
Fittleworth

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Diana E. Greenway

Year published

1996

Supporting documents

Page

31

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Prebendaries: Fittleworth', Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: volume 5: Chichester (1996), pp. 31. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=34310 Date accessed: 24 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST 17 PREBENDARIES OF FITTLEWORTH

PREBEND

Church of Fittleworth (W. Suss.; not in DB). First reference to preb. temp. bp. Seffrid II (16 Nov. 1180 - c. 17 March 1204) (Curia Regis Rolls IV 21). Church conf. to bp. after case in king's court in Trinity term 1205 and before Aug. 1207 (Chart. Chichester no. 339; Curia Regis Rolls IV 21). Mill of Fittleworth granted to bp. 5 March 1245 × 3 Apr. 1253 (Chart. Chichester no. 861); mill still episcopal property Sept. 1288 × Feb. 1305 (ibid. no. 862). See also Inq. Non. pp. 355a, 390-1; Valuation 1535 p. 168.

Subdcn.-preb.

Valuation 1291 £6 13s 4d (Taxatio p. 138a).

PREBENDARIES

Hugh of Lewes

Collated to this preb. by bp. S[effrid II], so before c. 17 March 1204; appeared to defend suit concerning church of Fittleworth Trinity term 1205 (Curia Regis Rolls IV 21). Also occ. as canon 11 July 1204 × 21 Aug. 1207 (Chart. Chichester no. 339) and c. 1190 × 28 July 1213 (ibid. no. 1064).

Next identified preb. is prob. M. John of Arundel, who occ. as canon 1329 and died by 16 June 1331 (2 Fasti VII 23).