LIST 9 PREBENDARIES OF BULLINGHOPE
The manor of Bullinghope (modern Bullingham, on the southeastern outskirts of
Hereford) did not belong to the church of Hereford at Domesday but was divided
between 3 tenants in chief, Roger de Lacy, Ansfrid of Cormeilles and Gilbert son
of Thorold (DB I 184b, 186b, 186d). By 11 March 1219 the chapter owned a third
of the tithe of the demesne of Richard of Cormeilles at Bullinghope (Capes,
Charters p. 49). The preb. of Bullinghope is mentioned for the first time in the
mid 13th-cent. cath. statutes, when it was said to owe 10 trugs of wheat and 20 of
oats per annum to the common fund (LS II 55). In c. 1291 the preb. was endowed
with two cars., a mill, a dovecote and various manorial dues at Bullinghope and
assessed at £16 1s 9d in the Taxatio Papae Nicholai (Taxatio p. 168b: Bullinghop);
in 1294 it was assessed at 20m in a list entered in bp. Swinfield's register (Reg.
Swinfield p. 305: Bollynghope). Valor III 11 assessed the preb. (Bollinghope
Superior) at £16 6s 8d.
? M. William le Poer
Was perhaps already can. when occ. 1205 x 1215 (cart. St Guthlac fo. 52v, no.
201, issued by Henry, prior of St Guthlac's, an office which he had relinquished
by 18 Nov. 1215, temp. Henry Blunt abbot of Gloucester, 1205-24); certainly can.
by 18 Dec. 1216 x 16 Apr. 1219 (EEA VII no. 299). His preb. is mentioned in a
ch. issued by him 18 Dec. 1216 x 29 Nov. 1223, prob. 18 Dec. 1216 x 16 Apr.
1219, by which he gr. to a clk. called Reginald for an annual rent of 8s one third
of all the land belonging to his preb., to wit the piece of land stretching from the
street running between the cath. and the gate of the castle to the land of the monks
'de Radinges' (ibid. no. 311). (fn. 49) This may possibly have formed part of the preb.
of Bullinghope, which is recorded as receiving a rent of 8s from the prior of
Hereford (Taxatio p. 168b), or perhaps part of the preb. of Putson Minor, which
was partly made up of rents drawn from the city of Hereford in 1291 (Taxatio p.
169a; list 31). His last occs. as can. are in a document prob. issued in 1239
(Hereford ch. no. 1083), and in ones of 1234 × c.1247 (Hereford ch. nos. 1268,
1286, 1660). Commem. 1 July; he gave one book and 5m to the chapter (app. 1
John of Aigueblanche
Dean (list 2). Held preb. of Bullinghope 1291 (Taxatio p. 168); d. by 1 Apr.
1320 when his preb. of Bullinghope was given to Adam Murimuth by bp. Adam
Orleton (2 Fasti II p. 15; Reg. Orleton p. 130).
||It is uncertain whether the name Radinges refers to the land held by the monks, or is a description
of the monks: the reference to monks of Reading holding land in Hereford is odd, unless perhaps
monks of Leominster.