LIST 23 PREBENDARIES OF MORETON MAGNA
Moreton on Lugg formed part of the estates of the church of Hereford in the llth
cent. and in 1086 the manor, assessed at 4 hides, was held by 3 clks, from the bp.
Two of these holdings appear to have survived as later prebs., occ. as such in the
mid 12th cent. (see entry for W. below and list 24). In c. 1291 the preb. of Morton,
endowed with two cars. and some rents, was assessed for pope Nicholas IV's
taxation at £20 (Taxatio p. 169b); in 1294 the preb. of Mortone major was assessed
at 20m in the list entered into bp, Swinfield's register (Reg. Swinfield p. 305).
Valor III 9 assessed this preb. at £20 12½d gross, £19 14s 4½d net; its endowments
were made up of demesne, rent from customary tenants, perquisites and payment
of small commons.
A tenant called W. occ. holding Moreton together with David (de Aqua) c. 1160
× c. 1170 (Herefordshire Domesday p. 28); there is no proof that W. was a can.,
but it seems likely. If so, he would have held the preb. of Moreton Magna, since
David's preb. can be identified as Moreton Parva (list 24). W. may be identifiable
with the Walter who occ. as one of two episcopal clks., the other being a certain
David, 1144 × 16 Apr. 1148 (EEA VII no. 28); it is unlikely that he is identifiable
with M. Walter de Aqua, since the latter appears to have become a can. only after
1173 (list 36).
M. Ardicio de Comite
Occ. as can. of Hereford, preb. unspecified, 18 Jan. 1268 (Hereford ch. no.
2930, and cf. C. R. Cheney, Notaries Public in England in the Thirteenth and
Fourteenth Centuries (Oxford, 1972) p. 21; see also list 36). Occ. as primicerius
of Milan and collector of papal taxes, not specified as can. of Hereford, 25 Apr.
1279 (Reg. Cantilupe pp. 208, 290-1). He res. his preb., which is not named but
is described as nearer Hereford and better endowed than Inkberrow, 12 Aug. 1280,
requesting that it should be given to his nephew Philip (Reg. Cantilupe pp. 248-
50). Bp. Cantilupe wished to give Ardicio's preb. to William de Montfort and
William's preb. to Philip, but since William ended up retaining his preb. of
Inkberrow, Ardicio's wishes may have prevailed. In that case it is possible that
Ardicio's preb. was Moreton Magna, which was better endowed and nearer
Hereford than Inkberrow, and which Philip is recorded as holding c. 1291 (see
Philip de Comite
Occ. holding preb. of Morton c. 1291 (Taxatio p. 169), which he may have held
since Aug. 1280 (see previous item and list 21).
The next known holder of the preb. was Edward de Monte Martini who was
admitted 5 June 1307 by virtue of prov. (Reg. Swinfield p. 440; 2 Fasti II 34).