Prebendaries
Banbury

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Joyce M. Horn & David M. Smith

Year published

1999

Supporting documents

Page

36

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Prebendaries: Banbury', Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857: volume 9: Lincoln diocese (1999), pp. 36. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=35168 Date accessed: 22 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

PREBENDARIES OF BANBURY

Preb. valued c. 1535 at £46 6s 8d (Valor II 164).

Matthew Smith M.A. 1512-1548.

Coll. 2 Dec. 1512 (Reg. XXIII f. 29). Instal. 15 Dec. (A/3/4 f. 49). Preb. leased out 6 July 1536 for 30 years at £56 p.a. (C.P.R. 1560-3 p. 494). Royal lic. 15 Aug. 1547 for bp. to gr. this preb. to Edward, duke of Somerset (C.P.R. 1547-8 p. 184). Probably d. 6 Feb. 1548 (commemoration of obit at Brasenose College, Oxford) (Brasenose College Quatercentenary Monographs (Oxford, 1909) IV 15-16, VII 26-7; cf. CA 1547-59 p. 20).

Henry Parry 1548.

Pres. 25 Feb. 1548 by Edward, duke of Somerset (P.D. 1548/1). Instal. by proxy 21 June (CA 1547-59 p. 20).

The preb. of Banbury had passed from the duke of Somerset to the duke of Northumberland by 8 Dec. 1551, when the latter sold it to the Crown (C.P.R. 1550-3 p. 117). Queen Elizabeth annexed it to the bpc. of Oxford (fn. 1) (Lincoln Cath. Statutes III 656).

Footnotes

1. According to Survey of Cath. II 140 this happened in 1589, but no confirmation of this has been found.