POLL TAX OF 1381 IN THE CITY OF LONDON
173. [E179/42/10a face. Incomplete. Each person is assessed at 3s 4d.]
St Mary Magdalen Milk Street (Melkstrete). Chaplains: John Barbour,
William Salman, Andrew, Richard Schalgrave.
174. St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street. Rector: John Brampton;
chaplains: Roger de Holtham, John de Salisbury, Thomas de Henyngham.
175. St Mary Mounthaw. Rector: William Barowe; chaplain: Stephen
176. St Mary Staining. Rector: John Edward; chaplain: William.
177. St Margaret Fish Street Hill. Rector: Robert; chaplains: John
Grantham, Robert Coggeshale, William Horn, John Little.
178. St Margaret Lothbury (Lothebury). Rector: Roger Farndon;
chaplains: William Wermyngton, John Borham, Richard Smith, Gilbert
179. St Margaret Pattens (Patyns). Rector: John.
180. St Margaret Moses Friday Street. Rector: John Fraunceys; chaplains: John Wedon, Nicholas.
181. St Mildred Poultry. Rector: William Pynchebek; chaplains: Robert
Sely, Thomas de Muston, John de Broghton.
182. St Mildred Bread Street (Bredstrete). Rector: John Malton; chaplains : John Essex, John Tikhull, John Besewyk, Robert Besewyk, Henry
Hothom, John Stormesworthe, John Garforde, William Henry.
183. St Martin Orgar. Rector: William Cestre; chaplains: Richard
Mayon, Nicholas Asscheborn.
184. St Martin Ludgate. Rector: John; chaplains: Roger Hake, Robert
Clerk, John Mulsham, Laurence Howet, John Rifton (?), Richard
185. St Martin Vintry. Rector: Roger Lemsterr; chaplains: Thomas
Bartlot, Thomas, Walter, John Hoton.
186. St Martin Pomery. Rector: John Redhod; chaplains: Thomas
Barowe, John Colyntre, Stephen Benet.
187. St Martin Oteswich. Rector: William; chaplains: Richard, Walter
188. St Matthew Friday Street. Rector: John Eccleshale; chaplains:
William Forneux, John Borgeloun, William Seuster (?), William Meldeborn, Thomas, Richard.
189. St Magnus The Martyr. Rector: Walter; chaplains: Henry, Philip
Canoun, Robert Caster (?), John Staunton, Robert Welsokyn, John
Lyndiseye, John Cauntirbury, Thomas Howlf.
190. Chapel [Of St Thomas The Martyr] On The Bridge. Chaplains: John
atte Welle, Walter Coteler, Robert, William.
191. St Nicholas Cole Abbey (Coldabbeye). Rector: John Baude; chaplains: Ralph Donyngton, William Jewel, Robert Pitton, William de Upton,
John de Bokyngham, William Algere, John dwelling with the rector.
192. St Nicholas Acon. Rector: William; chaplain: John Haukyn.
193. Total: persons: 93. 92 persons. (fn. 1)
subsidy: £15 10s 0d. £15 10s 0d. (fn. 1)
194. [dorse] Hospital (House) Of St Thomas Acon. Master: Richard
Aired; brothers, domini: Richard Sewell, Laurence Barnet, Nicholas
Licchesfeld, Thomas Bakedale, Thomas Wynchecombe, Thomas Ysaak.
195. Abbey Of St Mary Graces. Abbot: William de Warden; monks,
brothers: John de Forda, Thomas de Ledis, Richard Passtheneye, Jordan
Bikeliswade, Semanius de London, Roger Ykham.
196. Charterhouse. Prior: John; monks, brothers: four called John, two
called Robert, Hugh, Richard, Walter, Edmund, Matthew, Peter, Guy; lay
197. House Of The Nuns Of Haliwell (Haldwell). Prioress: Anne; nuns,
domine: Helen Grosham, Isabel Norton, Joan Hide, Joan Parker, Isabel
Causton, Joan Broun, Elizabeth Arundel, Margaret Bernham, Joan
Spencer, Joan Pentre, Alice Yonge, Agnes Lymbury.
198. Bethlehem Hospital. Master: brother William Tuce.
199. New Temple. Master: John Burford.
200. House Of Minoresses Without Aldgate. Abbess: Eleanor; and
twenty-six sisters. Total: £4 10s 0d.
[Damaged] 44(?) persons. £7 6s 8d.
201. Total: persons: 71.
subsidy: £11 16s 8d.
Approved for allocation at the foot of his account.
The collector asks to be excused from: £4 10s 0d for the said minoress
abbess and sisters, under (per) a privy seal writ of 1 March 4 Richard II;
[the money due] from Robert Halewey chaplain, under a privy seal writ of
8 March 4 Richard II; [the money due] from Robert Gadham chaplain
under a royal writ of 26 February 4 Richard II.
202. Sum total of these two rolls.
Priests, beneficed and unbeneficed, regular and secular: 631.
Subsidy: £211 10s 6d; from each person: 6s 8d.
Whence a surplus (unde de incro'): £1 3s 4d [rectius £1 3s 10d].
Clerks: 34; subsidy: £1 3s 4d, viz. from each person 1s 0d.