The present volume, the seventh to appear in the Staffordshire set, has, like
its five immediate predecessors, been prepared under the auspices of the
Staffordshire Victoria History Committee. The Committee, as explained in the
Editorial Note to Volume IV, is the outcome of a partnership formed in 1950
between the University of London and a group of Staffordshire local authorities.
The reorganization of local government in 1974 led to corresponding changes in
the Committee, the new composition of which is set out on p. xvii. The University
would like to express its thanks once more to the Staffordshire authorities for
their continued support, especially as they have again generously increased the
scale of their financial help.
A change in the local editorial staff occurred when Mr. G. C. Baugh, Assistant
County Editor, left in 1971 to become County Editor of the Shropshire Victoria
History. Mr. C. R. J. Currie was appointed in his place in 1972.
Many people have helped in the preparation of this volume. Several are
acknowledged in the lists of illustrations and of maps and plans and in the footnotes to the articles on which their help was given. Thanks are also offered to
Mr. S. Barton, Staffordshire County Librarian, and his staff, particularly Mr.
D. Antill, formerly Assistant Information Officer; Mr. R. L. Ekin, Joint Registrar of Birmingham Diocese; Mr. M. B. S. Exham, Registrar of Lichfield
Diocese; Miss Jane Isaac, assistant archivist at the Lichfield Joint Record Office;
the Revd. J. D. McEvilly, archivist to the Archbishop of Birmingham; and
Mr. F. B. Stitt, Staffordshire County Archivist and William Salt Librarian, and
The General Introduction to the History (1970) outlines the structure and
aims of the series as a whole. The present volume relates to only three parishes
in Offlow hundred: the account of the hundred itself and the history of the
remaining parishes are reserved for future volumes.