Houses of Cistercian monks
Byland

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1974

Pages

131-134

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Houses of Cistercian monks: Byland', A History of the County of York: Volume 3 (1974), pp. 131-134. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36235 Date accessed: 24 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

HOUSES OF CISTERCIAN MONKS

21. THE ABBEY OF BYLAND

In 1134 (fn. 1) twelve monks with their abbot, Gerald, left the abbey of Furness to establish and inhabit a daughter house at Calder, on a site granted by Ralph Meschin. They were settled at Calder for four years building their monastery, when the Scots, under King David, demolished their work and despoiled their property. They returned to the mother house at Furness, but were refused admittance, because Gerald refused to resign his office of abbot or release his monks from their vows of obedience to him. It was urged, on the part of the Abbot and convent of Furness, that it would be inconsistent with monastic order and discipline for two abbots with their separate convents to inhabit the same monastery together. No allowance being made for the unfortunate Abbot and monks of Calder, who were only seeking temporary shelter in the mother house, Gerald and his monks determined to renounce both Furness and Calder, and seek a new and independent site for their monastery elsewhere.

They had but little with them when they left Furness, only some clothes (vestes) and books in a wagon drawn by eight oxen, and their condition was pitiable in the extreme, but they had heard of Archbishop Thurstan's benevolence to the monks who six years before had left St. Mary's, York, and were settled at Fountains, and they decided to seek his kind offices. As they were approaching Thirsk, on their way to York, they met the steward of Gundreda widow of Nigel de Albini and mother of Roger de Mowbray, a youth then in ward to King Stephen, but soon to come into possession of his vast estates. Being struck with the miserable condition of the unfortunate monks, he bade them go to the castle of Thirsk, where his mistress was then residing, in order that they might sup at her table.

Gundreda watched the approach of the monks from an upper window. Being much edified by their behaviour and conversation, she sheltered them temporarily under her roof, providing for their wants and promising them a place of abode and permanent means of subsistence. As, however, they could not follow her about she sent them to her uncle (or nephew) Robert de Alneto, an ex-monk of Whitby, then living as a hermit at Hood near Thirsk, where she provided for them until her son Roger came of age. While there Abbot Gerald visited Thurstan at York, and sought his help. The archbishop wrote to Roger de Mowbray, who, having entered into possession of his property, granted the monks the tenth of the victuals provided for his household, and a conversus named Lyngulf was deputed to follow Roger de Mowbray's household, and make a daily collection of the victuals which he was to send to Hood. When, however, Roger de Mowbray was away at a distance, Lyngulf sold the victuals and transmitted what he received for them to the abbot. This was obviously inconvenient, and in 1140 Roger de Mowbray, instead of a tithe of his victuals, granted the monks a cow pasture at Cambe and lands at Wildon, Scackleton in the parish of Hovingham, as well as the vill of Ergham.

When the monks had been a little time at Hood and were beginning to acquire property, fear was felt lest the Abbot of Furness should claim a right of paternity over them. Abbot Gerald went therefore to Savigny, and explained why they had left Calder and how they had been rejected by the Abbot and convent of Furness. In a general chapter of the order, held in 1142, a full release was granted from the jurisdiction of the Abbot of Furness. Abbot Gerald returned to England, but died at York on his way home. His body was taken to Hood by his monks, and buried there. Roger, who had been sub-cellarer at Calder, was elected in his place. He was master of the novices at Hood, but had only one novice under him at the time, to whom he was speaking concerning the observances of the rule, when (the chronicler relates) suddenly and without warning, all the monks surrounded him and bore him in their arms to the high altar of the oratory, proclaiming him as their abbot with a loud voice in the name of the Holy Trinity. In Easter week following he was blessed as abbot by the archbishop at Sherburn, on the presentation of Roger de Mowbray, who was present at the ceremony.

When the monks had been four years at Hood and many persons had joined them, the place became too small, and in 1143 Roger de Mowbray gave them his vill of Bellalanda super Moram, [Old Byland] with its church and all its appurtenances. Having made this grant, he caused the monks to build a small cell by the River Rye, not far from Rievaulx Abbey, which had been founded twelve years before by Walter 1'Espec. Here Abbot Roger and his monks stayed for five years. At the desire of Roger de Mowbray Hood was given to the Augustinian priory which he founded at Newburgh.

As Old Byland, from its nearness to Rievaulx, was unsuitable for the new abbey, Roger de Mowbray gave the monks in 1147 two carucates of land near Coxwold, and the monks set to work to clear the ground, and built a small stone church, a cloister, and other buildings and offices. But when Roger de Mowbray had left for Normandy troubles arose. Robert Dayville, lord of Kilburn, greatly hindered the monks, asserting that they had inclosed part of his vill of Kilburn. Hugh Malbys, lord of Scawton, also harassed them, as did Guy de Boltby. In consequence of these difficulties Abbot Roger went in 1147 to Savigny, where he attended the general chapter (which gave Jervaulx as a daughter-house to Byland). He assured Abbot Serlo and those present that his monastery was amply endowed, if he and his monks were allowed peaceable possession of their property. He left before the chapter was ended, and hastened to Roger de Mowbray, who promised speedy and efficient help. Fortified with letters from him to the disturbers of the rights of the monks, he returned to England. On Roger de Mowbray's return a settlement was effected. (fn. 2)

These troubles ended, new ones arose, the Abbot of Calder asserting that Roger and his convent belonged to that house, and not to Savigny. Abbot Roger replied that had there been an Abbot of Calder when Hood was given, there might be some claim for Calder, but as Calder was vacant at the time, the gift was to Savigny, to whom he and his monks were subject. The next year the Abbot of Savigny held a visitation of his houses in England, and the question was referred to Aelred, Abbot of Rievaulx. The Abbot of Furness put in his claim above that of the daughter-house of Calder, but Aelred decided against the claims of Furness. With this, the troubles of the monks of Byland in maintaining their property and independence came to an end, but Roger de Mowbray, in order to make everything sure for the future, confirmed all his gifts to Byland before the Archbishop and chapter of York.

The monks remained thirty years at Stocking, and while there cleared the woods and drained the swamps, and no doubt began the abbey church on the site now occupied by its ruins. On the eve of All Saints (30 October) 1177 they made their fourth and final move to what was then called Whiteker, but to which they conveyed the name of their house of Bellalanda, and which has since borne the name of Byland from it. Abbot Roger ruled the convent for the long space of fifty-four years, at Old Byland, Stocking and Whiteker (Byland). He had often wished to resign, but when he had pleaded this with St. Bernard he was persuaded to continue in office. At length, worn out and enfeebled by age, he resigned, but lived nearly three years longer as an inmate of the monastery. There seems some difficulty in accounting for the removal from Stocking, where the monks had built a stone church and cloister, and other offices and structures. Possibly these were too small, for the church is described as a small one, and it may be that on that account they thought well to begin a new monastery close by, on a larger scale.

By far the most important event in the after history of Byland must have been the * battle of Byland Abbey' as it has been called, fought on the high ground between the abbeys of Rievaulx and Byland, on or about 14 October 1322, but as to what befell Byland Abbey on that occasion we do not know. King Edward is said by some to have been at Byland Abbey when the news of the discomfiture of his forces and the capture of the Earl of Richmond by the Scots reached him. By others it is said that he was at Rievaulx Abbey. At whichever of the houses he was sojourning he fled precipitately to York, leaving a large treasure and much silver plate behind him, which fell into the hands of the Scots.

Burton (fn. 3) gives a long list of the possessions the abbey received from different donors. (fn. 4)

Henry II (fn. 5) took the abbey into his protection, and granted the monks and their men the privilege of being free in all cities, boroughs, markets, fairs, bridges, and ports throughout England and Normandy.

Of spiritualities the abbey held the church of Old Byland, granted by their founder; a moiety of the church of Bubwith, given in 1349 by John de Mowbray for the good of the soul of his wife Joan, who was buried before the high altar of the abbey church; and both moieties of Rillington. Pope Clement VI on 23 January 1344 (fn. 6) confirmed the appropriation of the church of Rillington to Byland, of their patronage, and of the value of 30 marks according to the old taxation, but of 15 according to the new. The monastery had suffered by the incursons of the Scots, an allusion probably to the devastation caused at the time of the battle in 1322, besides that of other raids. As it was a Cistercian house, exempt from episcopal visitation, the Registers at York contain little concerning the abbey of Byland beyond the elections of several of the abbots, and their benediction by the archbishop. Its internal history after Abbot Philip's record comes to an end with the removal to the final site in 1177 is almost blank. From a Subsidy Roll we learn that in 1380-1, (fn. 7) besides the abbot, there were eleven monks and three conversi. The abbey received, it is not known why, Letters Patent dated 30 January 1537, (fn. 8) to continue, but it surrendered 30 Henry VIII, when pensions were granted to the abbot (£50) and twenty-three monks; one other, John Harryson, received no money pension quia habet vicariam de Byland.

At the time of the Dissolution there were seven bells, 100 fodder of lead, 516 oz. of plate. The gross annual value is given in the Monasticon as £295 5s. 4d., and the clear income as £238 9s. 4d. (fn. 9) In 1527 (fn. 10) the clear annual value was returned as £217 13s. 4d.

The return of the commissioners as to the payments of grants to ex-religious in the North Riding, dated 20 February 1553, (fn. 11) records that John Alanbrige, the late abbot, appeared with his patent and said that his pension of £50 was behind one year at Pentecost then last past; Robert Baynton (£10) 'appeared not,' nor did Richard Pereson (£5 6s. 8d.); Robert Leafe had died, five others appeared with their patents, as did also Thomas Metcalf, who appeared with his patent for £5 6s. 8d., but the commissioners say he ' did not axe it.'

Abbots of Byland

Gerard, died 1142 (fn. 12)

Roger, occurs 1146, (fn. 12a) resigned 1196 (fn. 13)

Philip, succeeded 1196 (fn. 14)

Hamo, occurs 1199-1200 (fn. 15)

Herbert, occurs 1209 (fn. 16)

Robert, occurs 1223, (fn. 17) 1230 (fn. 18)

Henry de Bathersby, occurs 1231, (fn. 19) 1268 (fn. 20)

Adam de Hustwayt, (fn. 21) occurs 1272, (fn. 22) 1283 (fn. 23)

Thomas, occurs 1285 (fn. 24)

John, elected 1288, (fn. 25) occurs 1293 (fn. 26)

Henry, elected 1300, (fn. 27) occurs 1302 (fn. 28)

William, elected 1302 (fn. 29)

Adam, occurs 1310, (fn. 29a) 1315 (fn. 30)

John de Wynkburn, occurs 1316, (fn. 31) 1318 (fn. 32)

John, elected 1318 (fn. 33)

John, elected 1322 (fn. 34)

John de Miton, occurs 1332 (fn. 35)

Walter de Diceford alias de Jarum, (fn. 35) elected 1334, (fn. 36) occurs 1342 (fn. 37)

John, elected 1349 (fn. 38)

William, elected 1357 (fn. 39)

Robert de Helmeslay, (fn. 40) elected 1370, occurs 1381 (fn. 41)

Geoffrey de Pykering, occurs 1397, (fn. 42) 1400 (fn. 43)

William (Helperby), (fn. 44) occurs 1435-69 (fn. 45)

Thomas Kylburn, occurs 1479 (fn. 46)

John Ferlington, elected 1499 (fn. 47)

John Ledes alias Alanbridge, elected 1525 (fn. 48)

The little circular 13th-century seal, (fn. 49) ¾ in. in diameter, has a half-length figure of our Lady with the Child, and the legend:—

✠ AVE [MARIA]

An abbot sealed c. 1186 with a little vesica, (fn. 50) 1½ in. by 1 in., showing the standing figure of himself, holding staff and book. Abbot Walter (?) in or about 1210 used a seal (fn. 51) of similar design. Both of these have the legend:—

SIGILLUM ABBATIS DE BELLELANDA

Another abbot's seal, (fn. 52) used in 1186, has a design of an arm and hand holding a crozier, with the legend:—

✠ SIGILLVM ABBATIS BELLELANDE

Footnotes

1 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 349, no. viii. ' Incipit Fundatio Domus Bellelandae edita À Philippo Abbat tertio Domus praedictae sicut ipse audierat À predecessore suo Abbate Rogero et aliis senioribus hujus Domus.' From the ' Registrum de Bellalanda ' (now lost). See also a paper by Mr. J. R. Walbram, Assoc. Sec. Rep. (1864), 219.
2 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 352.
3 Burton, Mon. Ebor. 329-38.
4 Egerton MS. 2823 is a chartulary of Byland. A large number of original charters of the abbey are said to have been destroyed when St. Mary's tower at York was blown up in 1644, and others were burnt in a bookseller's shop at Bristol about 1860. The British Museum possesses a number of early charters relating to Danby, Whitby and elsewhere. Add. Chart. 7409-32.
5 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 343.
6 Cal. of Papal Letters, iii, 114.
7 Subs. R. 63, no. 12.
8 Burton, Mon. Ebor. 339. As the clear annual value was above £200, it did not come within the scope of the earlier Act, and the matter is a little puzzling.
9 Ibid.
10 Subs. R. 64, no. 303.
11 Exch. K.R. Accts. bdle. 76, no. 24.
12 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 350.
12 a Ibid. 572, no. v: he also occurs as contemporary with Archbishop Henry Murdac (l147-54): Egerton MS. 2823, fol. 48.
13 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. 353.
14 Ibid. 354.
15 Yorks. Fines, John (Surt. Soc.), 2.
16 Ibid. 160.
17 Feet of F. file 17, no. 8 (8-10 Hen. III).
18 Ibid. file 22, no. 23 (12-14 Hen. III).
19 Occurs as Henry in a number of Feet of F. from 15 to 39 Hen. HI: H. de Bathersby is said in 1292 to have been abbot forty years before: Assize R. 1100, m. 84.
20 Egerton MS. 2823, fol. 55.
21 Ibid. fol. 104: Agreement between Adam de Hustwayt, Abbot of Byland, and William de Ellerbek, Abbot of Rievaulx (1268-85).
22 Feet of F. file 54, no. 27: Add. Chart. 20546.
23 Baildon, Mon. Notes, i, 27.
24 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 344.
25 York Archiepis. Reg. Romanus, fol. 30b.
26 Pat. 21 Edw. I, m. 6.
27 York Archiepis. Reg. Corbridge, fol. 23b.
28 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 345.
29 Ibid.
29 a Egerton MS. 2823, fol. 80.
30 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 345.
31 York Archiepis. Reg. sed. vac. fol. 91b.
32 Baildon, Mon. Notes, i, 27.
33 York Archiepis. Reg. Melton, fol. 227b.
34 Ibid, slip between fol. 238 and fol. 239.
35 Ibid. fol. 257b.
35 a Egerton MS. 2823, fol. 67.
36 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 345.
37 Baildon, Mon. Notes, i, 27.
38 York Archiepis. Reg. Zouch, fol. l66b.
39 Ibid. Thoresby, on slip at fol. 175.
40 Ibid. fol. 190.
41 Baildon, Mon. Notes, i, 27.
42 York Archiepis. Reg. Waldby, fol. 6.
43 Cal. of Papal Letters, v, 7.
44 The surname Helperby occurs on a fragment of an antiphoner shown to Mr. W. H. St. John Hope on 1 July 1905, and then belonging to Mr. F. C. Eales.
45 Baildon, Mon. Notes, i, 27.
46 Occurs on the fragment of the antiphoner above mentioned as abbot on feast of Assumption 1479, when John Ferlington, afterwards abbot, entered the cell of the novices.
47 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. v, 345.
48 Ibid.
49 Cat. of Seals, B.M., 2818; Add. Chart. 20546.
50 Ibid. 2819; Cott. Chart. v, 13.
51 Ibid. 2821; xlix, 14.
52 Ibid. 2822; lxxiv, 27.