35. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST. ANTHONY, SALISBURY (fn. 1)
This foundation was built near Salisbury Castle
and appears to have been dedicated jointly to St.
John the Baptist and St. Anthony. (fn. 2) Its origin is
obscure. The earliest proof of its existence is
afforded by a grant of royal protection in 1231, (fn. 3) but
a leper hospital existed in Old Salisbury as early
as 1195. (fn. 4) Whether or not this leper hospital was
a separate foundation it is impossible to say. (fn. 5) It,
too, is described as lying near the castle. (fn. 6) Moreover, the fact that Robert de Careville, treasurer
of the cathedral, left his bequest of £1 in 1267
simply to the hospital of Old Salisbury, (fn. 7) suggests
either that the two hospitals were identical or that
the hospital of St. John was the only hospital in
Old Salisbury at this time.
St. John's was, in all probability, a small foundation possessing few endowments. It was fortified
by letters of royal protection in 1231 and again in
1255 (fn. 8) and 1260. (fn. 9) Henry III also granted the
hospital the right to use two beech trees in the
forest of Buckholt (Hants) for fuel. (fn. 10) There were
some resident poor, with a master at their head,
but they were unable, at least in the 14th century,
to maintain themselves without the help of casual
alms. The master and brothers were granted
royal protection in 1348, (fn. 11) and an indulgence of
40 days by Bishop Waltham in 1387, (fn. 12) to assist
them in their begging. Richard of Otterbourne
bequeathed 1s. to the hospital in 1361. (fn. 13)
The foundation was still in existence in 1535,
though it is unlikely that any eleemosynary work
was then being carried out. It is described in the
Valor Ecclesiasticus as a 'free chapel or hospital'
and valued, with its ½ acre of pasture and 15 acres
of arable land, at 6s. 8d. (fn. 14) A similar valuation of
its meagre property was given in the chantry
certificate of 1546. (fn. 15) The certificate of 1548
noted that the incumbent, Richard Dunstall, aged
60, was drawing 12s. a year; the tenant had reserved certain trees from the site (or 16s. as their
value) for the king's use; Richard Eston of Winterbourne Dauntsey had defaced the chapel two
months before and sold tiles worth 26s. 8d. (fn. 16)
Richard Dunstall, occurs 1548. (fn. 17)
The pointed oval seal (fn. 18) of William Bate shows
the Baptist under an ogival canopy, holding a
lamb in his right hand, and in the base a priest
kneeling under a round-headed arch. The legend
'S' WILLĪ BATE CUSTODIS DOM' SIVE HOSPIT' SCĪ
JOD BAPHE PCE CASTRŪ VETĪS SAR'
||The author acknowledges with thanks the assistance
obtained from an unpublished note on this hospital written
by Mr. H. F. Chettle.
Cal. Pat. 1258–66, 92.
||Ibid. 1222-32, 452.
Feet of F. 1182–96 (Pipe R. Soc. xvii), 66; Sar. Chart.
& Doc. (Rolls Ser.), 55; Hoare, Mod. Wilts. City of Salisbury, 604. The summary of excavations in Arch. Jnl. civ,
does not mention it. William de Longespée, Earl of Salisbury, assigned five cows to the lepers of Salisbury hospital
in his will of 1225; Rot. Litt. Claus. (Rec. Com.), ii, 71.
||Miss R. M. Clay in Hospitals of Medieval Engl. 320,
lists them as separate foundations.
Feet of F. 1182-96 (Pipe R. Soc. xvii), 66.
Sar. Chart. & Doc. (Rolls Ser.), 344.
Cal. Pat. 1247–58, 429.
||Ibid. 1258–66, 92.
Cal. Close, 1268–72, 11.
Cal. Pat. 1348–50, 44.
||Printed in Hoare, Mod. Wilts. City of Salisbury, 751.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), ii, 89.
||E 301/56/27; E 301/59/39; W.A.M. xii, 376.
||B.M., Add. MS. 5846, f. 389. (Drawing by William