32. THE HOSPITAL OF BATTLE
'The house of the pilgrims which is called the
hospital' is mentioned as adjoining the gate of
the abbey in the survey of the vill of Battle
made about 1076. (fn. 1) This hospital, which thus
appears to have been, originally at least, a kind
of casual ward attached to the abbey, occurs
from time to time in rentals as a landmark, and
in 1345 we find one Alan Payn accused of
breaking into 'the buildings of the hospital of the
blessed Thomas the Martyr in the vill of Battle,'
and stealing a silver chalice and other goods. (fn. 2)
But, possibly because of its complete dependence
upon the abbey, we learn nothing of its history
Chron. of Battle Abbey (ed. Lower), 15.
||Gaol Delivery R. 129, m. 71.