43. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. NICHOLAS, LEWES
The hospital of St. Nicholas in Westout appears
to have been established by William de Warenne
as an infirmary for the poor under control of the
priory of Lewes. The six principal officers of
the monastery among them contributed 36s. to
its support, and a further 15s. was charged upon
the manors of Langney, Falmer, and Swanborough; (fn. 1) at the time of the dissolution the total
payment to the support of the thirteen inmates was
£5 10s. (fn. 2) The brethren and sisters at the time
of the suppression of the priory put their charters
and evidences into the hands of Ralph Cromwell, Mr. Pollerd, and Mr. Mylsent, who promised that they should have their charitable
alms as of old, and gave them 15s. to go on
with; (fn. 3) but nothing more was done, and the
hospital appears to have become an irregularly
constituted almshouse for the parish of St. Anne,
vacancies being filled, at one period, by the
simple entry of the first comer. (fn. 4)
Cal. Papal Let. v, 417.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), ii, 331.
L. and P. Hen. VIII, xiii (2), 1251.
||Lee, Hist. of Lewes, 369.