Hospitals
St James, Seaford

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1973

Page

105

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: St James, Seaford', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2 (1973), pp. 105. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36626 Date accessed: 21 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

45. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. JAMES, SEAFORD

The hospital of St. James of Sutton by Seaford was founded some time before 1260, in which year the brethren received a royal grant of protection for five years. (fn. 1) It was in the patronage of the abbey of Robertsbridge, to whom the manor of Sutton belonged, and was bought from them by Bishop Sherborn, and united with the free chapel of Bargham to form a prebend in the cathedral church in October, 1523, when it was 'lying vacant and of so small rents that no one could take it.' (fn. 2) But in 1534 the abbey of Robertsbridge granted to John Seman the site of the hospital of St. James and 10 acres of land called Spittelland, he paying yearly to the dean and chapter of Chichester £10, and 20s. to Thomas Gerard, clerk, master or warden of the said chapel or hospital. (fn. 3)

Masters, Or Rectors, Of The Hospital Of St. James, Seaford

Simon, occurs 1332 (fn. 4)

William Crosseby, exchanged 1389 (fn. 5)

William Haker, appointed 1389 (fn. 6)

Philip Chyntynge, died 1404 (fn. 7)

John Holyngbourne, appointed 1404 (fn. 8)

Thomas Gerard, last master (fn. 9)

Footnotes

1 Pat. 44 Hen. III, m. 13.
2 Cott. Chart, xii, 80.
3 L. and P. Hen. VIII, xiv, 906 (7).
4 Cal. Robertsbridge Chart. No. 332.
5 Pat. 13 Ric. II.
6 Ibid.
7 Chich. Epis. Reg. Story, fol. 102.
8 Ibid.; he was a monk of Robertsbridge.
9 L. and P. Hen. VIII, xiv, 906 (7).