Hospitals
St Bartholomew, Winchelsea

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1973

Page

107

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: St Bartholomew, Winchelsea', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 2 (1973), pp. 107. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36633 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

52. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. BARTHOLOMEW, WINCHELSEA

This hospital was situated in the south-west of the town, near the New Gate, and was established when Winchelsea was rebuilt, as in the survey of 1292 'the house of St. Bartholomew' is entered in the thirty-ninth 'quarter.' (fn. 1) It was for brethren and sisters, was endowed with 2 acres of land worth 6s., and was under the control of the mayor and commonalty, who had the power of admitting suitable inmates. (fn. 2) From the copy of the Custumal of Winchelsea drawn up in 1577, it would seem to have been still in existence at that date, (fn. 3) but in 1586 the lands of 'the dissolved priory of St. Bartholomew' were granted to the corporation. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

1 Cooper, Hist. of Winchelsea, 52.
2 Ibid. 154, 226.
3 Ibid.
4 Ibid. 109.