Hospitals
Cannock, St Mary

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

M W Greenslade, R B Pugh (Editors), G C Baugh, Revd L W Cowie, Revd J C Dickinson, A P Duggan, A K B Evans, R H Evans, Una C Hannam, P Heath, D A Johnston, Professor Hilda Johnstone, Ann J Kettle, J L Kirby, Revd R Mansfield, Professor A Saltman

Year published

1970

Supporting documents

Page

274

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Cannock, St Mary', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 3 (1970), pp. 274. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=37861 Date accessed: 30 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

HOSPITALS

23. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARY, CANNOCK

By 1220 there was a hospital at Cannock dedicated to St. Mary and comprising a prior and brethren. In that year they were granted the right to bring into cultivation up to 15 acres of heath in Broomhill (in Cannock) and 'Fernifurlong' and to hold them until the king came of age. (fn. 1) The hospital in fact retained the land after Henry III came of age in 1227: in 1230 the prior owed 2s. a year to the Crown for 12 acres of heath in Cannock. (fn. 2) This annual sum was still owed to the Crown in 1242 but was then 12 years in arrears. (fn. 3) The rent remained permanently in arrears after 1230, (fn. 4) a fact which suggests that the hospital ceased to exist soon after that date.

Footnotes

1 Rot. Litt. Claus. (Rec. Com.), 417.
2 Pipe R. 1230 (P.R.S. N.S. iv), 234.
3 Pipe R. 1242 (ed. H. L. Cannon), 10.
4 By 1287 the arrears amounted to 114s. (E 372/132, among the sheriff's nova oblata (ibid. m. 8d.).