||For 'Dr.' Milley see below n. 13. Until the 19th cent.
the hospital seems to have been known simply as the
Women's Hospital: see e.g. below p. 277; 7th Rep. Com.
Char. H.C. 129, p. 381 (1822), x; Harwood, Lichfield, 512.
In 1687 the Archdeacon of Stafford, in a return of Staffs.
hospitals, referred to it as 'St. Katherine's Hospital in
Lichfield founded by one Wills': Bodl. MS. Tanner 131,
f. 214. No other reference to this dedication is known, but
see following note.
||D. & C. Lich., Chapter Act Bk. i, f. 109. The bishop's
gift, made on the feast of St. Katherine (25 Nov.), was
confirmed by the dean and chapter in the following year.
The date of the gift is confused with that of its confirmation in H. Wharton, Anglia Sacra, i. 453.
||Behind the hospital's garden is a slang of land belonging to the hospital and running down to the Leamonsley
Brook. This land, variously estimated as 7 or 9 perches,
has long been held by the occupier of the property to the
north for 5s. a year: map and annual accounts in Char.
Com. files; 7th Rep. Com. Char. 384.
||The land given by Heyworth in 1424 was described as
'situatum in le Baconstrete . . . inter tenementa vicariorum . . . ex utraque parte'. It is almost certainly identifiable
with the land 'iacentem inter terram vicariorum . . . ex
utraque parte' which Bp. Scrope leased to Sir Thos. de
Aston in 1393 or 1394. It was then also described as 'a
garden outside the Bacon Street gate opposite the tower
with the statute of Bishop Walter' and was said formerly to
have been called 'le Ellerendych'. See D. & C. Lich., Chapter Act Bk. i, ff. 33v., 109.
||For this para. see Harwood, Lichfield, 513. Lache seems
to have given this property while he was still sacrist. He
must have resigned this office by 1438 when he became
subchanter: D. & C. Lich., Chapter Act Bk. i, f. 148; and
see above pp. 148, 163. Lache later became Master of St.
John's Hospital, Lichfield: see below p. 287.
||Le Neve, Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae, 1300-1541 (new
edn.), x. 24, 28, 51, 62, 64, 66.
||Harwood, Lichfield, 512, seems to suggest that Godscroft was the hospital's site; it is, however, clear from 7th
Rep. Com. Char. 384, that this was not the case.
||This obit was supported by a pension from Darley
Abbey (Derb.): Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iii. 139, 154. The
hospital presumably received an income from this source
until the suppression of the obit in 1548: S.H.C. 1915,
153; S.C. 12/28/12, f. 6v.
||Harwood, Lichfield, 513.
||These were Bp. Langton's chantry (S.H.C. 1915, 157),
Dean Mancetter's chantry (ibid.; S.H.C. 1924, pp. 18,
113), John Kynardessey's chantry (ibid. 1915, 158), and
Peter of Radnor's chantry (ibid. 1924, p. 114; Valor Eccl.
iii. 135, 138). It was Kynardessey's chantry which
assigned money to the almshouses. The charitable funds
of Mancetter's and Radnor's chantries seem to have been
controlled by the sacrist.
||For the sacrist see previous note; S.H.C. 1924, p. 164;
Valor Eccl. iii. 136, 138. For the guild see S.H.C. 1915,
||For this para. see 7th Rep. Com. Char. 381-2; Harwood, Lichfield, 208, 512, 513-14. Milley was Archdeacon
of Coventry and Prebendary of Dasset Parva and had held
a prebend in the cathedral since 1457: Le Neve, Fasti (new
edn.), x. 15, 31, 44, 66. He was one of the university men
promoted by Bp. Hales (see above pp. 31, 159), but there
seems no authority for calling him 'doctor' except the
inscription on the tablet at present over the hospital
entrance (the text of which is given in Harwood, Lichfield,
513). He was usually called 'magister' in contemporary
records: see e.g. D. & C. Lich., Chapter Act Bk. iii, ff. 68,
||Lists survive for 1585 and 1613 (Harwood, Lichfield,
514 n. 38), 1687 (Bodl. MS. Tanner 131, f. 214), 1700 and
1719 (S.R.O., D.239/M/2800 and /2801), 1732 (ibid.
/2908), 1818 (S.R.O., D.(W.) 1702/7/5), 1821 (7th Rep.
Com. Char. 382), and 1852 (S.R.O., D.(W.) 1702/7/5).
||[J. Jackson], Hist. of the City and County of Lichfield
, p. 30 (2nd nos.); Harwood, Lichfield, 512; Lich.
Dioc. Ch. Cal. (1869), 96.
Lich. Dioc. Ch. Cal. (1870), 96; and see later edns. In
1719 the sacrist was referred to as 'the Steward or Receiver
of the rents belonging to the said Almshouse or Hospital':
S.R.O., D.239/M/2800. Since 1957 the chaplain of the
hospital has been known as such: Lich. Dioc. Dir. (1957),
p. 54; and see later edns. and below p. 278.
||Lich. Dioc. Regy., DC/C/1/2, chapter acts Oct. 1664,
10 Nov. 1664.
||7th Rep. Com. Char. 382. Some property had, however, been lost by the beginning of the 19th cent.: ibid.;
and see below. According to Staffs. Advertiser, 5 Nov.
1796, 'a considerable estate' devolved on the hospital on
the death of Cornelius Nevill of Pipehill; his death had
presumably terminated a lease of the hospital's property
||7th Rep. Com. Char. 385-6, 392-3. Since 1815 the
feoffees of Dr. Milley's Hospital have been responsible for
paying the £1 4s. a year to the almsmen of St. John's in
respect of Saturford's benefaction: see below n. 33. For
payments by Feckenham's Charity at the present time see
below n. 39. A full account of the charities mentioned in
this para. is reserved for a future volume of this History.
||7th Rep. Com. Char. 393-4. The payments to the
almsmen have remained the same since the later 17th
cent., but those to the almswomen were subsequently
increased: see below notes 33, 39.
||A. L. Reade, Johnsonian Gleanings (priv. print.), iv
(1923), 195; 7th Rep. Com. Char. 385.
||7th Rep. Com. Char. 386. The loan was repaid in
||Ibid.; Reade, Johnsonian Gleanings, v (1928), 252-3.
Her will was dated 31 May 1790, and she died on 30
Oct. 1791. In a codicil dated 23 Sept. 1791 she left an
annuity of £10 to one of the almswomen, Sarah Lovely.
Abstract of Returns of Charitable Donations, 1786-8,
H.C. 511, pp. 1158-9 (1816), xvi(2).
||7th Rep. Com. Char. 386.
||Char. Com. files. The annual salary of the sacrist's
assistant was 12 guineas in 1815; it was increased to £21
in 1833, and this sum was still being paid in 1874. See also
7th Rep. Com. Char. 386.
||7th Rep. Com. Char. 382, 383-5. After the 1809
survey timber felled on the hospital's estates was sold for
£543, of which £400 was subsequently invested.
||Ibid. 385, 386. The capital (£600 invested at 5 per
cent.) consisted of the £400 raised by the sale of timber
(see previous note), Geo. Hand's £100, and Jane Gastrell's
£100 (see above).
||Jackson, Lichfield, p. 30 (2nd nos.); W.S.L., M.849.
||Jackson, Lichfield, p. 30 (2nd nos.); see above.
||Harwood, Lichfield, 512.
||7th Rep. Com. Char. 386. Payments from independent
charities then consisted of £25 4s. from Feckenham's
Charity and £9 4s. from the Lichfield corporation. Saturford's benefaction had been realized as capital in 1815 by
the feoffees who have since paid the almsmen of St. John's
Hospital £1 4s. a year in respect of this benefaction: ibid.
386, 393; Char. Com. files.
||Char. Com. files. See also W.S.L., M. 849.
||Char. Com. files; see below and n. 36.
||Harwood, Lichfield, 512; 7th Rep. Com. Char. 386.
In 1845, at the feoffees' suggestion, the Revd. H. I.
Cotton, the sacrist, agreed to hold a weekday service and
to celebrate Holy Communion on 3 Sundays in the year;
his salary was accordingly raised to £20 p.a. These
arrangements were not continued in his successor's time.
See Char. Com. files.
||Char. Com. files; Char. Com. Scheme, 27 Jan. 1893;
Lichfield Mercury, 2 and 9 Sept. 1892 (advts.).
||Char. Com. files; Char. Com. Schemes, 4 Feb. 1902,
15 Mar. 1907; Staffs. Advertiser, 12 Oct. 1901, 2 Feb.
1907 (advts.); see below.
||Except where otherwise stated, the rest of this para. is
based on Char. Com. files; Char. Com. scheme, 23 Oct.
1953; inf. from Mr. R. D. Birch, Steward of Dr. Milley's
Hospital (1967). The hospital has received just over £100
a year from Feckenham's Charity in recent years and
continues to receive £9 4s. from the corporation of Lichfield. Payments, averaging just under £140 a year, have
also been made to the hospital in recent years from
Haworth's Charity and Lowe's Charity; accounts of these
two charities are reserved for a future volume of this
Lich. Dioc. Dir. (1940-1 and later edns.). The sacrist's
office was always held ex officio by the Treasurer's Vicar:
see above p. 148. Both offices lapsed after 1940. The sacrist's
office has never been revived, and, although there was a
Treasurer's Vicar from 1951 to 1954, he did not act as
chaplain to the hospital. From 1940 to 1948 the Revd.
H. L. Muriel, Prebendary of Weeford, acted as chaplain:
Lich. Dioc. Mag. (1948), 36.
||Char. Com. Scheme, 18 Oct. 1955.
||Inf. from the Revd. C. E. Davis, Dean's Vicar and
chaplain to the hospital (1967).
||The following account of the hospital's architecture
has been written by Margaret Tomlinson.
||See O.S. Map 1/2,500, Staffs. LII. 15 (1882 edn.).
||For a view of the front range see below plate facing
||W.S.L., Staffs. Views, v, p. 253.
||Char. Com. files. Various proposals considered by the
trustees between 1900 and 1906 are set out in a letter from
the chairman of the trustees to the Lichfield Mercury, 16
||For the rest of this para., except where otherwise
stated, see Char. Com. files. An unfavourable report
(dated 20 Mar. 1902) on the trustees' plan was made by
W. D. Caroë and contains a valuable account of the
buildings. The files also contain a report on the buildings (dated 6 May 1901) by Hen. Bowyer, an assistant
commissioner. It appears from both reports that the
buildings were structurally sound. A drawing of the hospital (dated 11 Aug. 1906) by Lynam survives in W.S.L.
334/38. There are also scattered jottings about the hospital in Lynam's notebks. 1905-7: W.S.L. 117/39/128130.
||See O.S. Map 1/2,500, SK 1109 (1966 edn.). This is
the first 25 ins map to record the 1906-7 alterations to the
||Inf. from Mr. A. B. Chatwin, of J. A. Chatwin & Son
(1967); inf. from Mr. R. D. Birch (1968).