Hospitals
Mere

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1906

Page

233

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Mere', A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 233. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38058 Date accessed: 21 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

90. THE HOSPITAL OF MERE

The hospital of St. John Baptist at Mere in the parish of Dunston also belongs apparently to the thirteenth century. Simon de Roppele gave half a fee in Mere to a chaplain and thirteen brethren before 1243 and the earliest institution of a chaplain is dated 1247. (fn. 1)

In 1343 the master complained that the prior of St. Katharine's and others had taken five houses of his at Mere, worth £10. (fn. 2) The patronage of the house was in the hands of the bishops of Lincoln; and this hospital was one of the few which survived the Reformation. (fn. 3)

Wardens of Mere

Thomas, (fn. 4) appointed 1247

Richard, occurs 1289 (fn. 5)

Nicholas de Belowe, (fn. 6) resigned 1341

William le Hunte (fn. 7) of Tratincton, appointed 1341, occurs to 1349

Adam of Limber, (fn. 8) appointed 1361

John Forest, (fn. 9) resigned 1398

John Ordy, (fn. 10) appointed 1398

Roger Warde, (fn. 11) resigned 1405

William Newton, (fn. 12) appointed 1405, resigned 1420

Robert atte Kyrke, (fn. 13) appointed 1420

Gagwin Hodshon, (fn. 14) appointed 1558

Footnotes

1 Testa de Nevill (Rec. Com.), 325. Linc. Epis. Reg. Rolls of Grosteste. A copy of the Foundation Charter is said by Tanner to have once been at Cambridge.
2 Pat. 17 Edw. III, pt. ii, m. 28 d.
3 The later history is given in the account of Lincoln Grammar School.
4 Harl. MS. 6950, fol. 72 d.
5 Assize R. Linc. 503, m. 33 d.
6 Pat. 15 Edw. III, pt. iii, m. 8.
7 Ibid. and Cal. of Pap. Letters, i, 155.
8 Linc. Epis. Reg. Inst. Gynwell, 99 d.
9 Ibid. Inst. Beaufort, 1.
10 Ibid.
11 Ibid. Inst. Repingdon, 6.
12 Ibid.
13 Ibid. Inst. Flemyng, 23.
14 Ibid. Inst. White and Watson, 1554-9, fol. 49.