Hospitals
Grimsby

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1906

Page

234

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Grimsby', A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 234. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38062 Date accessed: 24 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

94. THE HOSPITAL OF GRIMSBY

The hospital of St. Mary Magdalene and St. Leger at Grimsby was another of those founded within the thirteenth century. It was intended for lepers male and female; (fn. 1) and its revenues seem from the first to have been scanty and insufficient. In 1291 Bishop Sutton issued an indulgence to those who should contribute to the 'supreme need of the miserable poor lepers' of St. Mary Magdalene at Grimsby; (fn. 2) Bishop Dalderby gave them four similar indulgences between 1300 and 1314. (fn. 3) The last mention of the hospital is in 1336, when the king granted protection to those collecting alms on its behalf. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

1 Pat. 8 Edw. II, pt. ii, m. 11.
2 Linc. Epis. Reg. Memo. Sutton, 25 d.
3 Ibid. Memo. Dalderby, 21, 84 d. 128, 283.
4 Pat. 9 Edw. III, pt. ii, m. 23.