Victoria County History
A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2
William Page (editor)
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
'Hospitals: St Bartholomew without Lincoln', A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 234. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38065 Date accessed: 30 July 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
97. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. BARTHOLOMEW WITHOUT LINCOLN
The hospital of St. Bartholomew was intended
for the reception of lepers and other sick persons.
Like that of St. Leonard, it was 'without the
castle' of Lincoln. There was a master and
brethren here as early as 1314, but they are not
heard of after 1331. Like many other such
foundations, the house had fallen into poverty
about this time, and we know of its existence
only by the numerous licences for asking alms
which were granted by the bishop (fn. 1) or the king (fn. 2)
between the dates given above.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd