98. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. JOHN BAPTIST AND ST. THOMAS THE MARTYR ON STAMFORD BRIDGE
This hospital was certainly in existence from
1323 until the eve of the Reformation, (fn. 1) but
its founder and its purpose are alike unknown.
99. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. GILES, STAMFORD
This hospital, which was built outside Stamford, was intended for lepers. It was undergoing repair in 1304 (fn. 2) and 1319, (fn. 3) and again in
1332 (fn. 4) indulgences were granted for the purpose
of increasing the alms of the faithful.
100. THE HOSPITAL OF ALL SAINTS, STAMFORD
The hospital of All Saints was founded by
William Brown, merchant of the staple of
Calais, for the support of two chaplains, and for
the distribution of alms to twelve poor persons,
who should pray for the soul of the founder. (fn. 5)
The endowment consisted of the manors of
Swafield and North Witham, and these now
belong to the hospital, which is still in existence. (fn. 6)
This was in 1485; and in 1534 the terms of
the foundation were still observed, and the sum
of £18 4s. was still distributed to the poor of the
hospital. (fn. 7)
There is a seal of the hospital (fn. 8) of the fifteenth
century, in shape a pointed oval, and representing
the Trinity seated in a canopied niche with
tabernacle work at the sides. In addition to the
figure of our Lord on the cross, held between
the knees of the Almighty, the Father is represented holding a cloth in his hands containing
three heads, busts, or figures, emblematic of the
three persons of the Trinity. In the base,
under a round-headed arch, with masonry at the
sides, there is a half-length figure of an ecclesiastic in prayer. In the base is a shield of arms,
ermine two bars within a bordure ermine (?)
SIGILLŪ: COMUNE: DOMUS: ELEOSINARIE:
||The first mention is in Linc. Epis. Reg. Memo.
Burghersh, 124; the last ibid. Memo. Longlands, 20.
It is several times called the hospital of St. John
Baptist and St. Thomas, showing that it was but one
house with a double dedication.
||Linc. Epis. Reg. Memo. Dalderby, 69 d.
||Ibid. Memo. Burghersh, 247.
||Pat. 2 Ric. III, pt. ii, m. 14.
||Peck, Antiquities, p. 20 of Appendix; and Wright,
Domus Dei (Hospital of William Browne).
Valor Eccles. iv, 142.
||B.M. Seals, lxvii, 42.