Alien houses
The priory of Bonby

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1906

Page

241

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Alien houses: The priory of Bonby', A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 241. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38083 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

117. THE PRIORY OF BONBY

The churches which formed the endowment of Bonby Priory were granted during the reign of John to the Benedictine priory of St. Fromund, Normandy; they had previously belonged to the prior and convent of Merton. (fn. 1)

The value of the house was very small and probably supported but one monk. During the wars with France it became so unprofitable to the prior of St. Fromund that he granted it to the London Charterhouse. As this was done without the king's consent, the grant was disregarded, and the priory was seized as alien property. (fn. 2) It was farmed for a time by the king's clerks at an annual rent of 12 marks, but in 1403 it was granted to the Carthusians of Beauvale. (fn. 3)

Its value in 1380 was only £8 5s. 10d. a year. (fn. 4) The original endowment had included the rectories of Bonby, Saxilby, and All Saints, Stamford. (fn. 5)

Footnotes

1 Dugdale, Mon. vi, 1056.
2 Pat. 4 Hen. IV, pt. ii, m. 31.
3 Ibid.
4 Add. MS. 6164, fol. 370.
5 Dugdale, Mon. vi, 1056.