Hospitals
St Margaret, Huntingdon

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page, Granville Proby (editors) assisted by H.E. Norris

Year published

1926

Supporting documents

Page

397

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: St Margaret, Huntingdon', A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 1 (1926), pp. 397. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38150 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

HOSPITALS

9. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARGARET, HUNTINGDON

The hospital of St. Margaret without Huntingdon is said to have been founded by Malcolm IV of Scotland, who was also Earl of Huntingdon, and died 1165. (fn. 1) It was intended for the reception of lepers. Isabella de Bruce, daughter of David Earl of Huntingdon, and her son Robert Lord of Annandale, were also benefactors. (fn. 2) The hospital fell into the king's hands at the rebellion of Robert Bruce the younger, (fn. 3) and most of the masters from this time onwards were king's clerks. There were still brothers and sisters in the house in 1327; but it had fallen into such poverty that they were obliged to refuse admission to a leper sent them by the king in this year. (fn. 4) In 1340 they were excused from paying tithes on the same ground. (fn. 5) Perhaps the brethren and sisters may have died in the Great Pestilence, and the revenues, scanty beforehand, became still further lessened by the depreciation of landed property at this time. In 1461 the hospital was evidently no longer used for its original purpose, and was granted to the Master and Fellows of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. (fn. 6)

Masters of St. Margaret's Hospital

John de Yaxley, (fn. 7) appointed 1312.
William de Langley, (fn. 8) appointed 1314.
Robert de Lincoln, (fn. 9) appointed 1315.
John de Yaxley, (fn. 10) appointed 1315.
John de Fletton, (fn. 11) appointed 1322.
John de Higham, (fn. 12) appointed 1331.
John de Askham, (fn. 13) appointed 1334 to 1342.
Henry de Yaxley, (fn. 14) appointed Oct. 1361.
Richard de Daventry, (fn. 15) appointed Dec. 1361.
Richard de la Shawe, (fn. 16) occurs 1370.
John Russell, (fn. 17) resigned 1379.
John Innocent, (fn. 18) appointed 1379, resigned 1386.
John de Nottingham, (fn. 19) appointed 1386, resigned 1389.
John Hanlee, (fn. 20) appointed 1389.
Thomas Balle, (fn. 21) resigned 1395.
John Swynton, (fn. 22) appointed 1395.
Richard Hildegar, (fn. 23) appointed 1399.
Robert Claydon, (fn. 24) appointed 1404.

Footnotes

1 Pat, 12 Edw. III, pt. 1, m. 4.
2 Ibid.
3 Pat. 6 Edw. II, pt. 1, m. 13.
4 Close, 1 Edw. III, pt. 2, m. 16.
5 Close, 14 Edw. II, pt. 2, m. 54.
6 Pat. 1 Edw. IV, pt. 4, m. 12.
7 Ibid. 6 Edw. II, pt. 1, m. 13.
8 Ibid. 7 Edw. II, pt. 2, m. 24.
9 Ibid. 9 Edw. II, pt. 1, m. 24.
10 Ibid. m. 23.
11 Ibid. 15 Edw. II, pt. 1, m. 18.
12 Ibid. 5 Edw. III, pt. 2, m. 30.
13 Ibid. 8 Edw. III, pt. 2, m. 23.
14 Ibid. 35 Edw. III, pt. 3, m. 33.
15 Ibid. m. 10.
16 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. VI, 651.
17 Pat., 2 Rich. II, pt. 2, m. 30.
18 Ibid.
19 Ibid. 9 Rich. II, pt. 2, m. 6.
20 Ibid. 12 Rich. II, pt. 1, m. 3.
21 Ibid. 19 Rich. II, pt. 1, m. 7.
22 Ibid.
23 Ibid, 1 Hen. IV, pt. 1, m. 9.
24 Ibid. 6 Hen. IV, pt. 1, m. 26.