Hospitals
Stockerston

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

W.G. Hoskins (editor) assisted by R.A. McKinley

Year published

1954

Page

45

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Stockerston', A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 2 (1954), pp. 45. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38181 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

28. THE HOSPITAL OF STOCKERSTON

In 1466 licence was granted to Sir John Boyville to found by the church at Stockerston a perpetual almshouse, for one chaplain and three poor persons, and to grant it funds in mortmain to the value of £10 yearly. (fn. 1) Boyville died before the hospital could be founded, and in 1468 his executors obtained a licence to found an almshouse for three poor persons, with a chantry chaplain. The almshouse was to be dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and the chaplain was licensed to obtain for himself and the three poor lands with a yearly value of up to £12. (fn. 2) In 1535 the hospital was still in existence, and it was then noted that the three poor persons were paid £3. 11s. yearly, while the gross yearly income of the hospital was £12. 3s. (fn. 3) The subsequent fate of the hospital is unknown, but it may have been the institution at Stockerston dissolved by Thomas Waldron shortly after 1535. (fn. 4)

Chaplain Of Stockerston Hospital

William Warton, occurs 1536. (fn. 5)

No seal is known.

Footnotes

1 Cal. Pat., 1461-7, 486.
2 Ibid., 1467-77, 113.
3 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iv, 162.
4 It was stated in 1547 that a chantry at Stockerston had been dissolved by Waldron 12 or 13 years earlier. This may have been the hosp., but it is to be noted that in 1535 there was another chantry at Stockerston, besides the hosp.: Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iv, 162; A. Hamilton Thompson, 'The Chant. Cert, for Leics.', Assoc. Arch. Soc. Rep. and Papers, xxx, 528.
5 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iv, 162.