30. THE COLLEGE OF NOSELEY (fn. 1)
The first step towards the foundation of a
chantry college at Noseley was taken in 1274,
when Anketin de Martivall granted to God and
to the chapel of St. Mary at Noseley, and the
chaplains there celebrating the divine offices, a
messuage at Noseley, a messuage and a virgate
at Slawston, 5 acres at Hallaton, and 4 virgates
at Houghton, with the villeins occupying the
tenements concerned. (fn. 2) Anketin's grant was confirmed by his son and heir, Roger de Martivall,
in 1276, (fn. 3) but it is not known how the chantry
thus endowed was constituted, or even whether
a chantry was in fact established at this time. In
1303 it was reported that it would not be to the
king's damage if licence was granted to Roger de
Martivall to alienate 3 messuages, 6¼ virgates, and
8 marks rent at Noseley, Stretton, and Gilmorton
to four chaplains, who were to celebrate the divine
offices in Noseley chapel for the souls of Roger
and his ancestors, (fn. 4) and in 1304 the patrons of the
parish church at Noseley gave their consent to
Roger and his successors having a free chapel
there. (fn. 5) In June 1306 Anketin's gift of property
at Slawston, Hallaton, and Houghton was confirmed by royal letters patent, and licence was
granted for the alienation by Roger de Martivall
of 2 messuages and 8 marks of rent in Noseley and
Stretton to three chaplains, who were to celebrate
divine services daily in Noseley chapel. (fn. 6) An agreement concluded in August of the same year between Roger de Martivall and the rector of
Noseley specified in detail what ceremonies might
be performed in the free chapel, and how offerings
were to be divided between the chapel and the
parish church. The rector gave up all claim to
the advowson of the chapel, and Roger granted to
the rector a messuage and a virgate at Noseley. (fn. 7)
This agreement was confirmed by the patrons of
Noseley parish church, and by the Bishop and
Chapter of Lincoln. (fn. 8) Roger de Martivall laid
down the regulations for the chantry in a document of October 1306. It was provided that the
head of the free chapel was to have the power to
remove his subordinates at will, and to replace
them by others; arrangements were made for the
payment of the clergy of the chantry, and it was
provided that if any surplus profits arose they were
to be used to support further priests and clerks; the
services to be celebrated in the chapel were briefly
described. (fn. 9)
Noseley chantry, one of the earliest chantry
colleges to be founded, survived until the general
suppression of chantries under Edward VI, but
though the college obtained some further endowments it never became important. In 1334
licence was granted for the alienation to the
college of one-third of the manor of Garthorpe
(Leics.). (fn. 10) About 1336 the college was granted the
advowson of Noseley parish church, (fn. 11) which was
appropriated in 1338. (fn. 12) The parochial cure of
souls was transferred to the warden of the college,
and the ordinary services were probably celebrated
after this date in the chantry chapel rather than in
the parish church. (fn. 13) In 1369 one-half of the
advowson of Hallaton (Leics.) was granted to the
college, (fn. 14) and in the same year licence was given
for the alienation to the college of the manor of
Caldecote (Warws.). (fn. 15) In 1370 the college
obtained a manor at Blaston (Leics.), (fn. 16) and some
property in Noseley was conveyed to it in 1375. (fn. 17)
In 1526 there were in the college three
priests, (fn. 18) two deacons, an organist, two other
clerks, and a curate, who was presumably engaged
in parochial duties, (fn. 19) but in 1530 only the warden,
the curate, and one other clerk are mentioned. (fn. 20)
Leland, visiting Leicestershire some years later,
noted that there were then in the college three
priests, two clerks, and four choristers. (fn. 21) Shortly
before the college was suppressed its gross yearly
revenue was estimated at £24. 13s. 9½d. Out of
this, the two chaplains each had a yearly stipend
of £2. 13s, 4d., and two clerks each had a stipend
of £1. 6s. 8d. (fn. 22) Another document of about the
same date, however, gives the warden's stipend
as £6. 13s. 4d., that of one of the chaplains as
£5. 6s. 8d., and those of two deacons as £3.13s. 4d.
each. (fn. 23) The college was dissolved under Edward
VIs Act for the Dissolution of Chantries, the
last warden being granted a pension of £6. (fn. 24)
Wardens Of Noseley College (fn. 25)
Miles of Leycestre, occurs 1306. (fn. 26)
William of Carleton, resigned 1315.
Robert Benet, presented 1315.
Ralph, resigned 1330.
Roger of Ryngested, presented April 1330,
John Pere, presented October 1330.
John of Ilneston of Gothemundele, (fn. 27) resigned
John of Ilneston, (fn. 27) presented 1343, died 1349.
William of Humberston, presented June
1349, resigned 1349.
Ralph de Peek, presented August 1349, died
William of Rothewell, presented 1375.
John of Bolton, presented 1397.
Richard Gaytecote, presented 1398, resigned
1402. (fn. 28)
John Bale, presented 1402, resigned 1407. (fn. 28)
Lawrence Blakesle, presented 1407, resigned
John Amore, presented 1408, resigned 1419.
John Billesfeld, presented 1419, resigned
1425. (fn. 28)
Thomas Rydell, presented September 1425,
resigned 1425. (fn. 28)
John Boneyamy, presented October 1425, resigned 1433.
William Brocket, presented 1433, resigned
Robert Gybbes, presented 1440, resigned 1461.
William Attekyns, presented 1461, died 1462.
John Geby, presented 1462, (fn. 29) died 1500.
Thomas Chapman, presented 1550, died 1503.
Christopher Rosyndale, presented 1503, resigned 1509.
Richard Alkeborowe, presented 1509, resigned 1513.
Roger Worthington, presented February 1513,
Richard Wodd, presented July 1513, resigned 1520.
Roger Worthington, presented 1520, died
Denis Morison, presented 1527. Last warden.
No seal is known.