10. THE PRIORY OF MODENEY
In the parish of Hilgay, about a mile southwest of the church, near the River Ouse, stood
the small Benedictine priory of Modeney, which
was a cell of the Huntingdonshire abbey of
Nothing is known of its foundation; both
Blomefield and Dugdale are practically silent as
to its history.
The taxation roll of 1291 enters the annual
value of the temporalities of the 'prior of Medmenaye,' in the parish of Hilgay, at £3 18s.,
and the prior of 'Modmenei' is noted in 1304
as paying 9s. 10d. for yearly tithes to the abbey
of Ramsey. (fn. 1) The Valor of 1535, under the
abbey of Ramsey, names the 'Sella de Modney
in Com. Norff.' as worth 43s. 4d. per annum.
The suppression commissioners simply reported, in 1536, that 'the Priory of Modney
namyed to be a cell to Ramsey hathe a Privy
Seale to appere.' (fn. 2)
CartuI, de Rameseia (Rolls Ser.), ii, 256.
||Chant. Cert. Norf. No. 90.