6. THE ABBEY OF WYRESDALE
The Cistercian abbey of Wyresdale, an offshoot of Furness, was founded towards the close
of the twelfth century, on land perhaps given by
Theobald Walter, lord of Weeton, and (from
about 1192) of all Amounderness. Between 1193
and 1196 Theobald, with the consent of the
archdeacon of Richmond, appropriated to the
new house the church of St. Michael-on-Wyre,
subject to the appointment of a vicar. (fn. 251) But
some years later (before 1204) Theobald removed the monks to Wotheney, on his Irish
lands in Munster, in the present county of
Limerick. (fn. 252) The site of the short-lived house
in Wyresdale is not known, but is supposed to
be indicated by the name Abbey stead in Over
Wyresdale near the confluence of Tarnbrook
Wyre and Marshaw Wyre.
||Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 336. For the interesting
agreement between the abbey and the vicar, see ibid.
337 and above, p. 14.
||Ibid. 340; Dugdale, Mon. ii, 1025, 1034.