16. THE HOUSE OF AUSTIN FRIARS, WARRINGTON
The date of the settlement of the hermit
friars of the order of St. Augustine at Warrington
is not known, but it was before 1308. In 1329
some of the brethren were ordained by Bishop
Langton. (fn. 23) An old hospital is said to have been
taken over by the friars. William le Boteler
gave them a meadow in 1332. (fn. 24) In the latter
part of the century several of the brethren were
appointed penitentiaries or had licence to hear
confessions in one or more deaneries of South
Lancashire; in one case throughout the archdeaconry of Chester. (fn. 25) A large number of
Warrington friars took holy orders. (fn. 26)
In 1362 William de Raby, an apostate friar
of the house, was seeking to be reconciled to his
order. (fn. 27) Chantries were founded in their church
by Sir Thomas Dutton, kt., in 1379 and by
Sir John Bold, kt., in 1422. (fn. 28) In 1504 Gilbert
Southworth of Croft bequeathed his body
to be buryed in the cemetare of the churche of
Jhesus belonging to the bredren of Seinte Austen. (fn. 29)
The house was probably surrendered in 1539, (fn. 30)
and the crown on 18 June, 1540, sold it with
the friaries of Preston and Lancaster to Thomas
Holcroft, esquire of the body to the king, for
£126 10s. (fn. 31)
Priors Of Warrington
Henry, (fn. 32) occurs 1334
John of Crouseley, (fn. 33) occurs 1368
William Eltonhead, (fn. 34) occurs 1379
Geoffrey Banaster, (fn. 35) S.T.P., appointed 1404
Nicholas Spynk, (fn. 36) occurs 24 June, 1422
Stephen Leet, (fn. 37) occurs 1432
— Slawright, (fn. 37) occurs 1520
||Lich. Epis. Reg. Langton, fol. 157, 163b.
Beamont (Ann. of the Lords of Warrington (Chet. Soc.),
73) conjectures that they were introduced about 1259
by William le Boteler, seventh baron of Warrington.
||Beamont, op. cit. 168, 189.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. Stretton, fol. 15, 20, 23, 26b;
ibid. Scrope, fol. 127b, 129.
||Lich. Epis. Reg.
Cal. Pap. Letters, iv, 34.
||Dugdale, Mon. vi, 1593; Trans. Hist. Soc. (New
Ser.), v, 129.
Lancs. Chantries (Chet. Soc.), 65.
L. and P. Hen. VIII, xiv (1), 348, 413, 494.
||Ibid, xv, 831 (43).
||Coram Rege R. 297, m. 123 d.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. Stretton, fol. 15, 20.
||Dugdale, Mon. vi, 1593.
||Beamont, Fee of Makerfield, 18. He was already
a friar of the house in 1371; Lich. Epis. Reg. Stretton,
Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), v, 129.
||Baines, Hist. of Lancs, iv, 404. The well-known
Friar Penketh (d. 1487), was a brother of the house
(Dict. Nat. Biog. xliv, 302).