Hospitals
St Saviour, Stidd under Longridge

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1908

Page

166

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: St Saviour, Stidd under Longridge', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 2 (1908), pp. 166. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38364 Date accessed: 30 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

20A. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. SAVIOUR, STIDD UNDER LONGRIDGE

The hospital of St. Saviour at Stidd under Longridge in the township of Dutton and parish of Ribchester can be traced back to the reign of John, about which time Richard de Singleton gave four acres in Dilworth to the master and brethren. (fn. 55) It was afterwards granted to the Knights Hospitallers and became attached to their preceptory at Newland near Wakefield. Shortly afterwards, or early in the fourteenth century, it seems to have ceased to be a hospital, though its chapel remained in use. (fn. 56)

Footnotes

55 Dugdale, Mon. vi, 686.
56 For details and list of masters see the account of Stidd in Ribchester.