Colleges
Barnard Castle

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1907

Pages

129-130

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Colleges: Barnard Castle', A History of the County of Durham: Volume 2 (1907), pp. 129-130. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=39906 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

37. THE COLLEGE OF BARNARD CASTLE

In February, 1477-8 Edward IV granted permission to his brother Richard, duke of Gloucester, to found and endow a college at Barnard Castle, within the castle there. The establishment was to consist of a dean, twelve chaplains, ten clerks, six choristers, and one clerk (sic), to celebrate divine offices in the castle chapel. It was to be dedicated to Christ, the Blessed Virgin, St. Margaret, and St. Ninian, and was to have land purchased for it not exceeding the yearly value of 400 marks. (fn. 1)

Whether or not this project was ever executed is not known; but as the licence of foundation appears to be the only document in existence relating to the college, it seems probable that in the increasing pressure of public business the duke forgot or omitted to carry out his pious intention.

Footnotes

1 Pat. 17 Edw. IV, pt. 2, m. 16.


<--Previous:
Colleges:
Staindrop
Next:-->
Hermitages